• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge 882 project truck

Ky shooter

Ok so my first post I purchased a 76 m882 :D. #firetruck well it is now running strong, and only has a few quirks, and none of these quirks motivate me to rip apart a motor. so I have a few questions and have determined this is a place I will be spending some time probably better spent in bed. The previous owners were a fire department, shocking i'm sure. Fire dpt replaced steering column, and destroyed fuse panel with light bars and all there firefighting stuff. Any information on acquiring fuse panels, and wiring harness, would be greatly appreciated. To date I have managed to get headlights, markers, tail and brake lights to work courtesy of a pull switch. I would like to get the three lever operational and a turnstat wired in. I dumped the stock 16.5 wheels and put on a set of 16 inch alloys wrapped in 245/75/16. I plan on stripping the reflective band and painting green or possibly dessert tan. Again any help on parts to acquire such as the pinnel hitch on the rear, or anything to be on the lookout for building a kick ass trail truck is greatly appreciated

Attachments

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Love the trucks, got a 77 myself and have a good thread on it.

Parts. I'd recommend checking facebook groups for the old dodges. There's a few national pages that have guys stripping/selling etc...

check into the behr paint recommendations on this board. Simple, cheap, and gives the military look.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a good starter truck there - most of the mid-70s Dodge trucks have dissolved into rust chunks by now, or are close to it. The 1970s was not a high water mark in the quality of American steel IMHO. But it seems your truck is lacking the typical cancer problems, so good on you!

Keep us updated as you progress...

m38inmaine

Check with Saturn Surplus they have quite a few M880 parts on their site. The weak spot on these is the electrical, I had to chase down a few electrical issues with mine.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from up the road. Truck is in good shape, as stated, for it's age. It will look good back in it's original green.

Ky shooter

That stripe is some proof I was a horrible person in my past life. 1 hour in and I have cleared from the rear bumper to the rear wheel well on each side

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good.
It has a 77 grill & blinker set up
76 vin - W24BE6Sxxxxxx
77 vin - W24BE7Sxxxxxx
Also appears the M882 bed has been replaced, as I don't see any indication of the 3 antenna mounts on the bed sides.

for your auto parts store purchases it is a 318 powered W200 with a 3500lb front axle.

a heat gun will make those stickers come off easier.

Ky shooter

Heat gun is the only way I could get it off. There are holes in the bed the fire department bondo filled and painted

Ky shooter

And is the axle recommended for power steering, if so one of the few things the fire department did right was add power steering.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And is the axle recommended for power steering, if so one of the few things the fire department did right was add power steering.

It can take it just fine. The power steering is one of the most desirable upgrades for the M880/M890 series of vehicles, next would be A/C. Mine came upgraded.

If you really don't want it, Rich M882 would be willing to swap! haha.

Ky shooter

Oh no I plan on taking this truck through some rough trails when all is done, so I am happy with the power steering. Rich will have to hunt his own up :)

michigandon

Welcome to the insanity! Looks like she's got good bones to start from.

That stripe is some proof I was a horrible person in my past life. 1 hour in and I have cleared from the rear bumper to the rear wheel well on each side
Try removing one of those fancy factory "POWER WAGON" decals from a civilian tailgate! Heat gun wouldn't touch it, Goof Off wouldn't touch it, ended up taking it off with a MAP gas torch, putty knife and a wire wheel. :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks