• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge cheap steel rims on HMMWV, are they 17 inch?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to do a project where I remove the bead area and place and weld it to a 16.5 rim in order to allow for a wider range or tires.

I want to standardize the addition with a predictable rim that is not aftermarket.

I will need to remove the area that locks the bead and weld to 16.5 rims. I have a spare set of 8 bolt rims for practice. I guess I need for 17 inch rims as donors and then I will need to cut and weld 8 times.

So, for anyone who has used Dodge steel rims on a HMMWVt... are the Dodge steel rims that fit a HMMWV 17 inch rims?

T I A

TOBASH

Last edited:

dhaumann69166

My H2 has 17” rims on it and I have swapped them back and forth with my Humvee and my 2002 Dodge 2500. Had a blown tire and needed the Humvee so I swapped rims/tires off H2 onto Humvee and had no problems. I also have put the Humvee rims/tires and H2 rims/tires on the Dodge to see if the 37’s would clear with my lift or rub when turning. If I am not mistaken Dodge and GM 8 bolt rims will all interchange but Ford is slightly different size pattern. Anything 17” or above should fit the Humvee. Only issue you should run into is different offset.

Action

My H2 has 17” rims on it and I have swapped them back and forth with my Humvee and my 2002 Dodge 2500. Had a blown tire and needed the Humvee so I swapped rims/tires off H2 onto Humvee and had no problems. I also have put the Humvee rims/tires and H2 rims/tires on the Dodge to see if the 37’s would clear with my lift or rub when turning. If I am not mistaken Dodge and GM 8 bolt rims will all interchange but Ford is slightly different size pattern. Anything 17” or above should fit the Humvee. Only issue you should run into is different offset.
The HMMWV wheel is hubcentric on the HMMWV hub. Is the hole in the Dodge and H2 wheels the exact same size as the HMMWV hub protrusion?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The HMMWV wheel is hubcentric on the HMMWV hub. Is the hole in the Dodge and H2 wheels the exact same size as the HMMWV hub protrusion?
I know the H1 is hub centric, but I thought the HMMWV was lug centric? Mine at least uses tapered lug nuts.

springer1981

I want to do a project where I remove the bead area and place and weld it to a 16.5 rim in order to allow for a wider range or tires.

I want to standardize the addition with a predictable rim that is not aftermarket.

I will need to remove the area that locks the bead and weld to 16.5 rims. I have a spare set of 8 bolt rims for practice. I guess I need for 17 inch rims as donors and then I will need to cut and weld 8 times.

So, for anyone who has used Dodge steel rims on a HMMWVt... are the Dodge steel rims that fit a HMMWV 17 inch rims?

T I A

TOBASH
Interesting concept .... I'm actually working on exactly this. I mentioned in my build thread (or somewhere) that I would prefer the stock wheels to the H2 wheels I currently have. But I want 37x12.5x17 BFG AT's for tires. I have a set of 5 24 bolt rims and I'm looking for 17" dually rims to use for the bead seal. I bought a HMMWV spindle so I can mount them in my lathe to cut and weld them. I choose dually wheels for the load rating, around 3000 lbs each. The 24 bolt rims are 4000 lbs. I won't be anywhere near those weights. Also I won't be running the run flats but I might run internal bead locks but first I just want to mount the tires.