• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge Ram COMBATT Truck

pedrodepacas

this is my truck, based loosely on the DoD's version, known as the COMBATT. i used paints from gillespie coatings inc. i have all the CARC substitute paints for the 3 color woodland camo, but am still feeling out how i like just the olive drab.

for those of you who havent heard of the COMBATT trucks, i have also attached what the original trucks look like.

Attachments

Elwenil

The Dodge COMBATT truck had an interesting pneumatic and link suspension system but it appearantly still used the weak unit bearing and ball joint front axle that the stock truck had.

pedrodepacas

i will take more pictures soon, this will probably be my build thread as well. as i try and convert even more to the COMBATT platform.

the dodge COMBATT uses firestone airbags system, but i am looking into using kelderman airbags. also, its a well known thing that the ram unitized bearings are weak, and just recently manufacturers have noted this and made manual locking hub conversion kits.

pedrodepacas

as far as i know, the majority of them are 5.9 cummins turbo diesels, i have only seen reference to a 1500 gas version once. and supposedly they will also be testing 3rd generation rams using a hybrid diesel known as the HEV.

Dodgeman1941

A friend of mine has the Ford COMBATT truck that he uses for a USAR horse plattoon. I've worked on it and had the pleasure of driving it numerous time. It is a heck of a neat truck, and over built is the understatement of all time. It's something to drive by FLIR.

LedDspncr

The OP's truck looks like some of the early prototypes i saw while i was working physical security for one of the mil contractors developing these. The fenders look good, i like it.

pedrodepacas

thanks guys, i was hoping to make it more to the government specs. but things came up which are changing my plans.

this is going to be a longer build up than i would have hoped for. the airbag setup was also several grand starting from 4k, i think the top price was somewhere around 8 grand.

i'm looking into just a bigger suspension kit for now, as its cheaper, and will do more than what i need offroad.

The OP's truck looks like some of the early prototypes i saw while i was working physical security for one of the mil contractors developing these. The fenders look good, i like it.
thats interesting, i wonder if they bought their fenders from one of the major offroad fiberglass companies. i lucked out and didnt have to pay 1k for research and developement of mine, cost me 400 for both.

i myself have only seen a few ford's that might have been COMBATT, when i was working on jobsite on a navy seals training facility (naval amphib base) in coronado, ca.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks