• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge Ram Pintle to tow M35A2???

wsucougarx

Hey guys, anyone have a pintle on their Dodge Ram Cummins that is rated at 13,000 #'s? I am looking at just emergency situations where my deuce may break down near home and needs a tow. I realize it will no doubt be slow going but I know the Cummins can take care of the job. My only question is will my chassis? I'm assuming so, so I am looking for a good high quality slide on pintle that will go on the OEM Mopar tow hitch thing. Please advise

Oh, its a 2001.5 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton with the HIGH OUTPUT Cummins and 6 speed manual equipt with Camping suspension and Tow package.

Elwenil

I'd be more concerned about the factory hitch's rating than the pintle's. Not to mention the Dodge does not have anywhere near the braking ability to handle 13k lbs of rolling weight pushing it.

Jones

Elwenil's right. Getting it started should be no sweat. Getting it stopped is a WHOLE different story.
Remember; if the pintle on the Dodge isn't AT LEAST equal in height to the tow eyes on the deuce, the deuce's weight will be continually trying to lift the rear of the Dodge off the ground; doing adverse things to your ability to keep control of both vehicles. To counter this, having the pintle at the top of a three foot (or more) tall stalk is going to dramatically cut into your towing capacity and stopping power just in a straight line-- forget it if you're at any kind of an angle.

m376x6

I love the Dodge Cummins. On my third one. Having for years pulled old M37's home with a tow bar using other M37's, I remember the challenges. The only way to pull a much heavier Deuce is either on a fifth wheel trailer or using a strap and a second person in the cab of the Deuce. The Dodge weighs half what the Deuce weighs, the Deuce WILL have its way with the Dodge. I know what you're thinking, YES, the Dodge Cummins is the best truck on the road, I'll admit that without any reservation, but mass is mass. I use a combination Pintle and ball hook through a unversal receiver hitch from the factory and pull a custom 18 foot trailer with both axles braked taking loads up to 13,000 pounds including trailer weight and have no problem with pintle or factory hitch.

Regards,
M376X6

wsucougarx

Ok looks like not a good idea. Still, I would just like to have that capability albeit not at highway speeds. Any recommendations to get a slide on pintle for the factory trailer hitch assembly?

m376x6

wsucougarx said:
Ok looks like not a good idea. Still, I would just like to have that capability albeit not at highway speeds. Any recommendations to get a slide on pintle for the factory trailer hitch assembly?
They make universal mounting plates that have a stem for the standard 2 inch receivers. The match the combination pintle/ball hitch. I would search around the internet for them. Stores out here like Big R and some of the other ranch/farm supply stores carry this stuff. Northern Equipment probably has them. You can also get a standard pintle hitch to bolt directly up to this universal mount. Best of luck.

Regards,
M376X6

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
emr said:
dm22630 said:
m376x6 said:
I love the Dodge Cummins. I know what you're thinking, YES, the Dodge Cummins is the best truck on the road
HAHAHAHAHA rofl
double that... :shock: ... rofl

Well,atleast he is half right....Cummings is the best engine on the road.....too bad it is the only engine on the road where the truck falls off the engine in a couple years and you end up putting the engine in a much better chassis....Like Chevy or Ford. :twisted:

Elwenil

Alright, enough of the brand beating. We all have our chosen brand and we all think they are best for various reasons. Keep it to yourself as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Geez.