• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge tips sought

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Hi fellows,
Several years ago I helped my dad restore a couple of M37s....so I have some basic experience with Dodges.

I've owned a "sort of" CMU-5 for several years - and am preparing to begin the restoration of this. Does anyone have any tips?

I say sort of - because the truck has a CMU-5 - but rather than being mounted on a M56 chassis, it has been mounted on a stretched M37 chassis.

I'm also soon to start looking for all the gear that goes inside the truck - so any leads appreciated.

Regards,
David Doyle

RICE670

DD, I have 2 manuals on the cmu-5.I can send copies if you would like. I would be more than happy to help any way I can. From my research the list of tools are almost the same between the different models.My truck being a DOD conversion(watervalit arsenal) has tag lists on each compartment. Tool trucks are my favorite Scott

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just Missed a Parts Truck

David:
If I known you were going to restore one, a pretty good example sold at the Ok forestry dept. sale at Golsby, this summer, for $500, the guy with the salvage yard out side Hooks bought it. It was short the bumper and winch but not a bad parts truck. I have some info. on my M715 varient of the contact maint. truck but the beds are different.
James

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Just Missed a Parts Truck

Thanks guys - I bought this as a running, driving truck. The paint is rough on the steel parts - so-so on the aluminum bed. Any tips on sanding/priming/painting aluminum?

Scott, I'd REALLY like to see photos of your truck - and the markings in the compartments. How do you know its a conversion - and how did they do it? I've got some photos of mine around here somewhere, I'll try to post them sometime this weekend.

Any of ya'll have experience with the welder/generator?

Thanks,
David

RICE670

On the conversion part- the data plates are m-715 w/w. The tire pressure , fuel capacity and transfer case shift pattern are changed with nice overlay decals.The transfer case was swaped to a np205 with PTO for the generator drive.All this is very nicely done with the factory look to it.Also on the box there is a data plate with manufactured at watervaliet arsenal.
I actually met a guy that works at the arsenal. He was there when these trucks where converted.He says there were a bunch of m715 trucks with no rear bed sitting in a locked area.Later on he noticed a large pile of transfer cases that hung around for a long time.
Seems to all make sense. I attached a pic of the data tag on the box.
My welder is up and working. When I get a chance I will bombard you with my pictures. Scott

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks