• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dodge truck in Norway

PureMayhem

i am in Norway visiting my daughter and her family. It turns out some of her in-laws are in to military vehicles. I haven't seen them yet but I did get a few photos of an old Dodge truck that I think is an M37. I didn't think to look for a plate to ID it.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lovely truck.

Where in Norway? I was stationed there with the Marines back in 1980, we were based on the airfield at Vaernes, outside Trondheim.

Back then the Norwegian army were still operating large numbers of WWII-vintage jeeps, WCs, and CCKWs as front line trucks. They were beautifully maintained, looked like they had just come out of the showroom.

Cheers

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didnt think the M37 came out till the early 50s so not WWII. I wonder what purpose the fancy rear cover was for?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks to me like a Dodge WC52 from WWII that has a specialized cargo bed, perhaps an ambulance or radio truck. Back in the early 70s I spent some time in Norway while in the US Army. Like M813rc said above, at that time the Norwegian military was almost exclusively ex-US military vehicles. I saw them everywhere. As also mentioned, they kept them in pristine condition.

PureMayhem

Lovely truck.

Where in Norway? I was stationed there with the Marines back in 1980, we were based on the airfield at Vaernes, outside Trondheim.

Back then the Norwegian army were still operating large numbers of WWII-vintage jeeps, WCs, and CCKWs as front line trucks. They were beautifully maintained, looked like they had just come out of the showroom.

Cheers
This one is in Norheimsund which about an hour drive east of Bergen.

PureMayhem

That looks to me like a Dodge WC52 from WWII that has a specialized cargo bed, perhaps an ambulance or radio truck. Back in the early 70s I spent some time in Norway while in the US Army. Like M813rc said above, at that time the Norwegian military was almost exclusively ex-US military vehicles. I saw them everywhere. As also mentioned, they kept them in pristine condition.
Yean I just made a guess as to what it was. I will try to find out more about it and the others that I haven't seen yet and post what I find.

dmetalmiki

One of our GMC M135s came from over there..Years ago it seemingly went to the eastern block...I just happened to see a video on U Tub, and was surprised to see what we believe to be our truck. video I came accrhttps://youtu.be/xuHVINx6Otkoss, (Searching for and finding OT 56 fording.).
( Also saw on the same link a deuce M35A2 making as much progress across a 'mild' off road bumpy n' slippy course as a Morris minor would be expected to navigate!).....If that had been in a real situation.. Any conflict would have been over by the time it did or did not 'get anywhere'.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being Camp Pendleton Marines, we were used to being refused service in California restaurants ("We don't serve your kind here", "We don't serve baby killers") in the late 70s-early 80s. Back then, Marines were easily recognizable, we were the only ones running around with very short hair, the other services all looked pretty shaggy. Some of our guys even wore long-hair wigs when they were off base.
Norway was an eye opener - again we were recognizable by being the only short-haired people around, but Norwegians would come up and thank us for being there to help them protect their country. In 1980, they were only 35 years on from being occupied by the Germans, and their northern border is with Russia. The Cold War was quite hot then, so they were a little nervous.
After the big NATO exercise Teamwork 80 was over, which for us Infantry types had meant 4 weeks in the field, eating cold c-rats and bathing in mountain streams, several of us went to a nice restaurant in Trondheim for a well-deserved fancy meal. Not a cheap place at all. The waiter told us mid-meal that one of the other patrons, who did not want to be identified, had paid our rather prodigious bill, and wanted to thank us for our service. First time that ever happened to us, but not the last.
Never happened in the US until after 9/11. It did please me to see how my two Marine sons were treated during their service time.

Sorry for the post hijack. To bring it back to MVs, attached is a picture from my album of a nice Norwegian CCKW, and a Volvo. ;) The white X indicates they were umpires. And me in my 60-gunner role doing road guard near Rindal.
Cheers

1 Norwegian CCKW 2.jpg1 Norwegian Volvo 2.jpgNorway 1980 - near Rindal.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks