• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DodgeTX New 1962 Studebaker M35a2 Multifuel repair and build thread

DodgeTX

Installed a middle seat belt for the middle seat, also installed some tweeters for the radio. Got a phone mount so my phone can be mounted somewhere instead of bouncing around on my lap!IMG_20210603_104034796.jpgIMG_20210603_120954722_HDR.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@DodgeTX How do you deal with the relatively low weight of the Deuce when you are winching other trucks of almost equal weight (such as the Ryder box truck in your pic) ? I find that staying on solid ground helps where I can chock the front wheels. But, generally, on unpaved ground the winch pulls the Deuce before the winch itself maxes out. Chaining the Deuce to a tree or another truck also helps in a pinch.

DodgeTX

@DodgeTX How do you deal with the relatively low weight of the Deuce when you are winching other trucks of almost equal weight (such as the Ryder box truck in your pic) ? I find that staying on solid ground helps where I can chock the front wheels. But, generally, on unpaved ground the winch pulls the Deuce before the winch itself maxes out. Chaining the Deuce to a tree or another truck also helps in a pinch.
For this recovery with the Ryder truck it was a solo mission, so I did not use the winch. Being that the winch is much easier with two people. I used two 4" x 20' straps on the front shackles attached to the frame of the box truck one on each side of frame rail. I dug out the wheel that was in the marsh as best as I could and made a ramp for that wheel, as well as dug a bit behind each wheel. Then I locked the front hubs and engaged the front axle. The driver of the Ryder truck put it in reverse and we slowly backed up.

Every recovery is different and there is more than one way to get the job done safely. However safety and no damage is key.

All the points you made are excellent and we have done those in different scenarios with other trucks.

Generally blocking the wheels with chocks on winch vehicle and digging out the stuck vehicle and then placing some traction ramps to help the stuck vehicle will get most things unstuck.

Sometimes it's making a plan and then revising if that doesn't work. Most of our recoveries are 30 minutes to 2 hours. It's been quite a while since we've had one go over that amount of time.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I regreased the front under the old torn zipper boot, replaced the zipper boot, and adjusted passenger front brakes. .......
........ while risking an arm, or worse!?:shock:

I'm tempted to photoshop your picture to make it look right - by placing a jack stand right there where that bottle jack is.
SAFETY FIRST, everyone...!!

DodgeTX

........ while risking an arm, or worse!?:shock:

I'm tempted to photoshop your picture to make it look right - by placing a jack stand right there where that bottle jack is.
SAFETY FIRST, everyone...!!
Definitely go for it! Safety First! jackstand came later placed in both front and rear of leafspring 12ton jackstand. You can see in the picture with zipperboot on bumper.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

ToddJK

Did you ever have any more issues with a brake sticking? I had that issue not long ago, on my way to the Haspin Rally. I almost turned around and went back home. The drum was so hot it was smoking like it was on fire. Took 10 bottles of water and 45 mins to cool off but ever since then, it hasn't given me any more issues. I was thinking it was the air pack myself because the pedal would be so hard to depress when it happened. I also drained the air tanks after letting it cool. Same wheel, same side as yours. However, I think that's awesome what you're doing with your truck. It's doing a job and when you're on the road, nothing but smiles per gallon, lol.

DodgeTX

Did you ever have any more issues with a brake sticking? I had that issue not long ago, on my way to the Haspin Rally. I almost turned around and went back home. The drum was so hot it was smoking like it was on fire. Took 10 bottles of water and 45 mins to cool off but ever since then, it hasn't given me any more issues. I was thinking it was the air pack myself because the pedal would be so hard to depress when it happened. I also drained the air tanks after letting it cool. Same wheel, same side as yours. However, I think that's awesome what you're doing with your truck. It's doing a job and when you're on the road, nothing but smiles per gallon, lol.
Have not had any issues with brakes sticking since that occurred. I think the brakes were out of spec then. After that tragedy with the fire I replaced the wheel cylinder, all seals, brand new brake shoes and cleaned everything to the best of my ability along with properly adjusting the brakes.

Currently I do have a front passenger wheel cylinder leak off and on that I need to take care of sooner than later. Along with some other general maintenance.

Clifford definitely brings many smiles and some people even know our business just by that truck parked out front with the flags! Pretty darn cool!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks