• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

does a 24V alternative intake heater exist? (versus 12V CH48 champion heater plug for NHC250 cummins)

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone out there ever discovered whether there's a 24V version of the intake heater plug? ..

Been round and round a bit on the web and on the champion site, wasting a lot of time and finding conflicting/incorrect info going against what most of us on here already know about the 12V plugs and their application(s)..

For a very long time my thoughts have been that the 12V plug draws down one battery at a higher amperage than need be, thus can compromise the start on the worst of days/nights.. A 24V version, if they exist, would draw across all the batteries equally and at half the amperage.. That should be a no-brainer to shoot for.. The MEP002 and MEP003 use a pair of CH49's (12V) wired in series for 24V.. They look similar to the CH48's in the M809-series trucks, and it's too bad there isn't a pair of plugs on the trucks. What I have found so far alludes that there were no 24V plugs made

All of the "ancient" Caterpillar equipment I ran or later owned had 24V preheat systems and never seemed to draw down the battery bank much at all.. I never understood why the M809-series got stuck with a 12V heater.. But then again, how often does common sense come into play when it comes to gov't design & procurement? :rolleyes:

Of course there's the solution to wire a big resistor ahead of the heater plug and hook it up to 24V, but that's wasted heat .. Maybe I should mount the resistor on the cab floor for my cold feet while I pump the primer :LOL:

Last edited:

Superthermal

Has anyone out there ever discovered whether there's a 24V version of the intake heater plug? ..

Been round and round a bit on the web and on the champion site, wasting a lot of time and finding conflicting/incorrect info going against what most of us on here already know about the 12V plugs and their application(s)..

For a very long time my thoughts have been that the 12V plug draws down one battery at a higher amperage than need be, thus can compromise the start on the worst of days/nights.. A 24V version, if they exist, would draw across all the batteries equally and at half the amperage.. That should be a no-brainer to shoot for.. The MEP002 and MEP003 use a pair of CH49's (12V) wired in series for 24V.. They look similar to the CH48's in the M809-series trucks, and it's too bad there isn't a pair of plugs on the trucks. What I have found so far alludes that there were no 24V plugs made

All of the "ancient" Caterpillar equipment I ran or later owned had 24V preheat systems and never seemed to draw down the battery bank much at all.. I never understood why the M809-series got stuck with a 12V heater.. But then again, how often does common sense come into play when it comes to gov't design & procurement? :rolleyes:

Of course there's the solution to wire a big resistor ahead of the heater plug and hook it up to 24V, but that's wasted heat .. Maybe I should mount the resistor on the cab floor for my cold feet while I pump the primer :LOL:
I was wondering if I go to a big cam intake inter-cooler if I would loose my heater or if there is a need to switch over to an either injector instead.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the big cam aftercooler intake you would loose the heater but there might be other options like maybe a grid heater?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wondering if I go to a big cam intake inter-cooler if I would loose my heater or if there is a need to switch over to an either injector instead.
very good question .. I have a couple big cams for parts and neither of them have the NHC250-type casting that has the port for an intake heater .. My big cams don't have an intake intercooler thus I cannot say whether they have the threaded port for the heater plug... I can measure later to see if a NHC250 intake heater casting can bolt up to a big cam intake.. Have never seen an intake heater plug on any civvie cummins 855 engine,, however I have one 855 with a decompression lever, not many of those around anymore

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you put two 12V heater plugs in series?
yes that would work of course, but there's no effective place to put the 2nd heater plug on those engines, except maybe mount it in the cab as a cigarette lighter, but I don't smoke

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks