• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does any one have knowledge or photographs of civilian based 80’s three wheelers?

Lonesome715

I found out the military bought and used Kawasaki three wheelers in the 80’s. I have heard they used specially built brackets and racks. I was told they were KLT 250’s. If there is truth to this, could some one please post confirmation and maybe even photographs? I am VERY interested in locating one.

Lonesome715

One more thing, Kawasaki also made models specificity for law enforcement agencies as well. From what O know they were called the Police model also based on the KLT250. I equally interested in locating one of them as well.

DonMn

I found out the military bought and used Kawasaki three wheelers in the 80’s. I have heard they used specially built brackets and racks. I was told they were KLT 250’s. If there is truth to this, could some one please post confirmation and maybe even photographs? I am VERY interested in locating one.
I know for sure there were police models made from the KLT's, the subject was brought up a few weeks back when my friend was going to look at a KLT. The ATC was in mint shape for $300, but the owner came to his sences and backed out of the deal. If I remember correctly they were nicknamed "The Duck".

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I worked for Kawasaki in the early 80's. There were several military version bikes and trikes. The KLT was a big, heavy pig and it was militarized, the KLR 250 and 600 and the KZ1000P was also militarized...never saw one, but we had the microfiche on them.

Lonesome715

I worked for Kawasaki in the early 80's. There were several military version bikes and trikes. The KLT was a big, heavy pig and it was militarized, the KLR 250 and 600 and the KZ1000P was also militarized...never saw one, but we had the microfiche on them.
Long shot I know, but would you have any idea has to how I could locate one? What about photographs?

B3.3T

Hey Lonesome715,
You owe me big time now dude. Took me forever to track down a declassified photo like this: USAF SOF used Kawasaki KLT-250's in the mid 80's, around 83-88. Forward air controlers mostly, not PJs.

Attachments

11ACR-LT

I've got one for you, not from Military service, but it is a KLT 250, new starter & battery, new frt wheel brgs, starts and runs very well, tires are about 85 - 90% and it's painted 4 color camo. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you some pic's

FrankUSMC

Hate to say this.....but I remember them. In the late 1980s or the early 1990s, I remember them being surplused by DRMO out of Fort Bragg, NC. That is the good news, the bad news is they were demilled by being cut up.
DRMO back them had a flyer you could pick up at DRMO that showed what was being sold. I remember the ATVs because I talked about the fact that they had to be destroyed with my furture Father In Law who worked at DRMO after he retired from the Marines.
Sorry for the bad news.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Lonesome715

Unless you have a KLT 250 Police, Duckster or military model in complete restorable condition or like new I am not interested.

Do you have a photograph of the fuel tank? I would love to see what that NOS tank would look like.

That is very sad to hear. However, there were a lot of military vehicles that were cut up and brought back to life in the civilian world. I still have some home.

FrankUSMC

On that note, you could bring one back to life. As I remember, they were cut, not crushed to meet the demil.
I have seen new life perservers turned in, and the guys at DRMO cutting them up with razor knifes, then putting them into the dumsters. When I asked why? better to just go ahead and destroy them, than have some one get hurt or killed wearing one.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

11ACR-LT

Well, the one I have looks exactly like the pic that B3.3T posted,(except for the paint job) heavy frt & rr racks. Does anyone know how they where up graded for Mil. service ? I'd be inerested to know what they did to them. Thanks

Lonesome715

The racks were common on the KLT's. I would also like ot know what made the military and Police models (other than color) different from the civilian models.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks