• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anyone double-clutch?

DeuceNewb

mine only grinds on 3rd to 4th if i'm shifting real fast....we're talking fast and furious holding the sifter halfway down so i don't have to move my hand as much. This is needed for traffic so i can be as fast as possible. Double clutching for me would be pointless because it would take longer to do the shift than it would to just shift it at the rate that doesn't grind. As for shifting without the clutch, only on my motorcycle, or a vehicle that lost the clutch. Not worth the risk in a tranny that is so tough to replace if i grenade it

tm america

i agree with deisel bob i always put my t case in neutral and trans in thrid while letting it warm up.There is no reason to double clutch a deuce it has a syncroed trans.Plus it has a ceramic clutch without a clutch brake doing so will cause the clutch to wear out prematurely.if you feel you need to double clutch it there is a probalem with your trans and it will probably need a syncro or two to get things right.Big rigs use a cog style engaging teeth instead of syncro type .It allows for clutchless shifting .when we build muncies and t10s for racing and speed shifting we cut every other tooth off the engaging teeth and slider and grind the teeth off the syncros .this basically makes it a cog type trans

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drive big trucks and know all about clutchless shifting but shifting a syncro trans without using the clutch is hard on the syncros.

I know several truckers that also have small trucks with manual trans. Since they are used to clutchless shifting they would shift their small vehicles without using the clutch. Over time it will get to where you can't hardly shift it at all without grinding. The syncros are shot.

Double clutching won't hurt anything other than maybe a little more wear on the clutch components. I don't find it necessary though.

Sgt. Sam

Doble clutching

Well I had to drive a 1 ton pickup pulling a 12ton trailerfrom just ouside of salt
lake to Salmon Idaho with no clutch. I soon learnd to shift without any clutch. The only real pain was pulling into a service station, Had to turn the engine off in gear and just in the right place so the gas nozzel would reach, and start it in gear to get going. Anyway I made it to Salmon. Turned the damm thihg in to let somone else fix itrofl
rofl

dskchevy

Clutch to start & stop............I drove a old mack 10 yard mixer one summer & had to shift on the jake it had a loud pipe so it sounded cool in the city...........
Scared the he!! out of some people walking down the street :razz:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce came from the ORARNG with a bad 4th gear synchro. It won't shift into 4th without bad grinding or a looooooong wait, unless double clutched. I am used to it and generally only double clutch that gear both up and down. It works fine that way.

DeuceNewb

i do like the idea of putting the tranny in gear and tcase in N while letting the motor warm up, i never thought of that.

but syncros are there for a reason and i think they'll get damaged when not used correctly

greenjeepster

From a safety standpoint pre-tripping with the truck in gear is a good way to get killed. I wouldn't trust my life to a neutral T-case for an added few degrees in temp on the gear oil.

I have heard stories of farm tractors jumping into gear and hurting or killing the operator who got off of it... I am not going to take that chance.

If you do do this practice chock as many wheels as you can front and back to increase the probability that it will stall out if it did pop into gear.

Reactions: emr

DieselBob

You do raise a very valid safety issue. Especially with the unknown mechanical status of items like detentes, shift rails and worn fork assemblies. Looks like a good time to put aside an old practice. Safety should be number 1.

tm america

I put it in third if for any reason someone bumped the tcase lever it would just kill the engine .plus i leave the parking brake on even if it was in first it would kill the engine before moving the truck

dmetalmiki

ALL the time

I have 9 trucks. never had clutch probs. I usually tow a deuce (and jeep)behind the 5 ton. Heavy tow loading like this demands correct clutch /drive train care. friends with deuces (usually younger (car drivers!)) bring thier trucks to us for regular clutch adjustments and or replacements. Around here you would not (well i dont ever) try clutchless shifting on the steep mid town grades we negotiate up and down. in any case it's allways shift to the required gear before going down the grade. and there is absalutely NO room for error (gears dragging forcing sensing mebbies) on certain hills in traffic on 25% + grades. these are old trucks. you like yours? well I love mine and treat them with the utmost care. so shift properly get proud of the abillity to drive in the correct manner. (for an old worn? truck) and enjoy the whole sensation of "trucking it carefully and t.4. safely. good luck to you enjoy your truck and the comradship.

Reactions: emr

Capt.Marion

I double clutch from 1st to 2nd in High Range. Aside from that, I only double clutch back down. No reason to for me, because my truck shifts like a dream. Now, if your truck doesn't like to shift (and it's not just bad driving technique), then you may have to double clutch. No two trucks are the same.

emr

A BIG NO, it is just not needed, Now in my cckw it was a must, but that is a totaly different animal for sure, split shifting is fun but there is absolutly no need to double clutch these trucks at all, if someone does that sure is fine, but do not worry not needed.....

Jakob

As some people have said; I only clutch when starting and up shifts are done without the clutch. On downshifts, I'll double clutch and use the time after I take it out of gear to blip the throttle to match the downshift RPMs.

JasonS

From a safety standpoint pre-tripping with the truck in gear is a good way to get killed. I wouldn't trust my life to a neutral T-case for an added few degrees in temp on the gear oil.

I have heard stories of farm tractors jumping into gear and hurting or killing the operator who got off of it... I am not going to take that chance.

If you do do this practice chock as many wheels as you can front and back to increase the probability that it will stall out if it did pop into gear.
A neighbor lost a leg a few years ago when his son started a tractor in gear. Unless you have the transfer case PTO with it's pump, you are not properly lubricating your transfer case in neutral.

fasttruck

As observed here before; practice of runnning standing deuce with trans in gear and transfer in neutral will damage transfer case unless vehicle has transfer pto like a 49C as gears and beariongs in t case are lubed by motion of countershaft so you can tow one indefinetly in neutral, not the mainshaft as in a trans. Mack TR72 and 722 duplex, triplex and quadraplex units have married boxes and oil circulates through whole unit.

Westex

Heck, I use the clutch....but I do bump the throttle slightly when shifting and found that meshes much better. But then again my injectors are turned up, etc... Bottom line is I think a clutch is put there for a purpose.