• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anyone have a pic of a properly installed gear reduction starter bracket?

kenz5380

Does anyone have a pic of a properly installed gear reduction starter bracket? I've been running without the bracket and with the wrong bolts since i've had my m1008 and i decided that i need to get the proper parts in there, but yesterday i looked under the truck and couldn't quite tell exactly how that bracket is supposed to go in there. I searched around and couldn't find a picture on ss or in the tm. The diagrams in the tm i found didn't even mention the bracket.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even just a page number in the tm would be a great help. It is completely possible i just didn't find the correct diagram.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gear reduction starter is not listed in the CUCV manuals. It was a later update.

Here is a picture of the two types of brackets and how the direct drive is mounted. The gear reduction bracket is the straight one, direct drive is curved.

TM 9-2320-289-20P, Figure 32.

Attachments

Last edited:

kenz5380

do most guys pull that front driveshaft when working on the starter? it seems like its in the way of removing the whole starter unit? Or do you just work around it?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
do most guys pull that front driveshaft when working on the starter? it seems like its in the way of removing the whole starter unit? Or do you just work around it?

If I recall, the M1008/M1028 can be done without moving the shaft but the M1009 needs to be lifted by either the axle or the frame to get clearance. Either way, use safety stands when working beneath the vehicle.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the M1009 jack up the truck and allow the axle to hangdown. It moves the driftshaft out of the way. It can be done without this, but is a pain.

Matt65

I have removed my starter a few times and never needed to remove the shaft. My truck is lifted 4". Be careful and don't let it fall and hit you, the 27mt like mine are heavy.

M1008driver

TM 9-2320-289-20

S e c t i o n I I . S T A R T E R S Y S T E M M A I N T E N A N C E

4-5. STARTER AND STARTER RELAY REPLACEMENT (Con’t).

5. Install bracket (4) on starter (7) and
starter shield (2) with bolt (3), washer
(6), and new locknut (5). Tighten bolt
to 33 Ib.-ft. (45 N•m).
:D

Last edited:

acesneights1

I have removed my starter a few times and never needed to remove the shaft. My truck is lifted 4". Be careful and don't let it fall and hit you, the 27mt like mine are heavy.
X2, mine's even easier since I lost that useless Bump stop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks