• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anyone have a sherwin Williams carc paint color selection image?

Skrilex

Banned
Anyway I called Sherwin Williams and the lady told me that they can’t sell anything CARC to the public. So, that’s surprising given all the suggestions of people using it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyway I called Sherwin Williams and the lady told me that they can’t sell anything CARC to the public. So, that’s surprising given all the suggestions of people using it.
Did you call a regular Sherwin Williams store or a commercial coatings store ?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've heard this over the years from people on the internet but I've bought real CARC from 3 different S-W in Atlanta and Athens over the years. I suspect this is like insurance: Some people have State Farm agents who say "Oh yeah, we can't insure military stuff" but other people have agents who say "Oh yeah, we have all sorts of military stuff insured": it's up to the individual location.

Skrilex

Banned
I called about 4 local stores who pushed me off to someone else until finally arriving at the commercial coatings store who seemed quite sure that this was to be purchased by military folks only. Dunno? But I do notice a lack of sellers online for it. Maybe a rule has changed?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I called about 4 local stores who pushed me off to someone else until finally arriving at the commercial coatings store who seemed quite sure that this was to be purchased by military folks only. Dunno? But I do notice a lack of sellers online for it. Maybe a rule has changed?
Might be something to do with the flakes running the government on the left coast.

donquijote

Only the commercial/industrial stores carry it. I buy it in new Orleans all the time which is the only place in LA that sells it. You should have no problem getting single gallons... ill forward you my store contacts info and he can easily get you in touch with a store that will sell it to you .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Skrilex

Banned
Only the commercial/industrial stores carry it. I buy it in new Orleans all the time which is the only place in LA that sells it. You should have no problem getting single gallons... ill forward you my store contacts info and he can easily get you in touch with a store that will sell it to you .

That’s cool thanks. So do you know if it’s possible to darken one of the colors? I’m liking the green but maybe just darken it a touch with some black.

donquijote

That’s cool thanks. So do you know if it’s possible to darken one of the colors? I’m liking the green but maybe just darken it a touch with some black.
I see no reason why not. First place I'd look is on the FSC charts. That will have all the different shades of military and gov colors with accompanying color codes. They have multiple shades of the same colors, which might match what you want.

If not, you can probably bring them a HEX or RGB value from your phone or pc and they can match directly from that custom shade value.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve talked to Sherwin Williams industrial. They can certainly make water based paint but without the CARC ingredient for anyone with no issues.

Jsmith1529

I have a buddy who was a manager at the Sherwin Williams specialty coatings store in Richmond, and I used to buy a lot of high build epoxy for concrete. H could probably get what you needed. He does his own thing as an installer now, so he's got a commercial account. Could probably have it sent to a Marine Coatings store in Portland. PM me if you want to look into it.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that just house paint?
Yes, good old Behr premium latex house paint. I was skeptical at first until we used it on some generators a few years back. They look nice and fresh still and easy to apply. We will be doing a newly acquired M1078A1 that we are converting to a plow truck for the county I work for. We are keeping the truck desert tan and will be a breeze to to paint. No safety issues using it as compared to carc.

I like it so much that I'm going to paint my M1009 with Behr paint next year. I was using rapco paint "lustrus Marine green" but it fades within 2 years. And why does any private owner need carc anyways?

Skrilex

Banned
Yes, good old Behr premium latex house paint. I was skeptical at first until we used it on some generators a few years back. They look nice and fresh still and easy to apply. We will be doing a newly acquired M1078A1 that we are converting to a plow truck for the county I work for. We are keeping the truck desert tan and will be a breeze to to paint. No safety issues using it as compared to carc.

I like it so much that I'm going to paint my M1009 with Behr paint next year. I was using rapco paint "lustrus Marine green" but it fades within 2 years. And why does any private owner need carc anyways?
I believe you. My buddies painted their crappy race van with house paint using a house airless sprayer and dang after years it still looked fine. I mainly wanted the carc because of the flat look it has, which is hard to achieve in typical auto finishes. But ya I guess it’s not that hard to accomplish if including latex paints. Screw it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks