• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anyone know axle capacities?

hippiedude

Check the resources section for the TMs ......TM 9-8024 and TM 9-1819 are there pluss a TM for the transmision and enine are there ....... Good luck ......Tim

cross country 5000lb payload
highway 10000lb payload
the m211 dual wheels
cross country front axle 6070lb inter axle 6450lb rear axle 6410lb total 18930
highway front axle 6180lb inter axle 8895lb rear axle 8855 total 32930

m5040

Thanks, I am thinking of putting a set under a Humber pig, guess it will be within capacity if I don't go off road

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can testify from experience that the M135 axles are not as tough as the Rockwells in the M35 series trucks. I have had pinion bearings go out in the M135 axles, and the axle shafts will twist off easier. We tried an expreiment with a center punch on the axles. The M135 axle shafts could be center punch marked with the punch; the M35 axle flattened the end of the punch with no dent in the axle shaft. The M135 differentials have ball bearings on the pinion, which proved to be the weak link. The Rockwells have all Timken bearings. I was using the M135 to haul grain, etc. on the farm. The axle shaft twisted off when we were loaded, coming out of a filed in muddy conditions, hitting gears hard as the automatic in these trucks normally do, especially from second to third in low range.
The problem with the Rockwells is the higher pinion location, which might be a problem in your Pig. You probably would not have any problems with the GMC axles if you keep good oil in them and check them out well before installing to be sure they are in good condition. The failed pinion bearings might have had some rust in the races I did not see.
Regards Marti

m5040

I am using the axles with a 89 cummins dodge and 3 speed auto. I am more concerned with the weight carrying capacity then the torque capacity. The monster truck builders swear by these as much stronger then the toploader Rockwells and they used the modified, sometimes even supercharged big blocks V8s. The worse part is that it looks like the front carrier has to be turned upside down to get the rotation correct, and the axles are not the same length. I guess will see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks