• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does anyone know the weight of 5th wheel assembly???

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be looking to remove a 5th wheel assembly from a m818 and going back with a flatbed. I'm curious if anyone has an idea of what the actual 5th wheel assembly weighs? I tried searching on here and google but haven't found any info on how much it weighs.

rrrr

The ramps are about 120 the 5th wheel assembly probably around 450 -500 pounds. I paid a guy with a service truck and 2 ton crane to help me for the day. Best $600 I ever spent. We got my tructor bed done in one day.

usmcm35a2

What rrrr said. Picked the front end of my 4 wheel drive 30 hp tractor off the ground when I tried to pick up the 5th wheel. Had to separate the plate from the mount to pick it up. Don't even think of moving it without heavy equipment.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on which 5th wheel you have. I have seen two different ones on an 818. One is the cheap looking commercial looking one and there other is a real 5th wheel. Cast, thick and pretty darn heavy. I used my backhoe to move the one I had.

jw4x4

I used the warehouse forklift to remove my 5th wheel and ramps. They are still laying in the corner. Guess i should put them out on the market. I bet shipping would be a deal-breaker.

The ramps are about 120 the 5th wheel assembly probably around 450 -500 pounds. I paid a guy with a service truck and 2 ton crane to help me for the day. Best $600 I ever spent. We got my tructor bed done in one day.
rrrr, you're sounding like an old man lol. I was just complaining/talkin about how dang heavy these tractor parts are. Put the loader to work just removing the davit and spare tire setup, next will be the 5'er and ramps.
sorry for the hi-jack

rrrr

rrrr, you're sounding like an old man lol. I was just complaining/talkin about how dang heavy these tractor parts are. Put the loader to work just removing the davit and spare tire setup, next will be the 5'er and ramps.
sorry for the hi-jack

Hey, I resemble that remark ;-)

Being 50 I'm trying to work smarter but i'm not fully equiped if you know what I mean.:gimp2:

Hey, I resemble that remark ;-)

Being 50 I'm trying to work smarter but i'm not fully equiped if you know what I mean.:gimp2:
Hey, I give every single person that lifts a wrench around these vehicles a lot of credit. I'm only 32 and get beat up every time I go near this truck. I was outta commission for 8 months when I lost my left leg and now I'm trying to get back into shape and these heavy @$$ parts are helpin.

leeinmemphis

I think I will probably end up removing more of the hardware for the 5er and then carry it to a scrap yard to offload it. I'll probably keep the ramps in case I have a use for them in the future but I do not see any reason why I would need to keep the 5er .

I think I will probably end up removing more of the hardware for the 5er and then carry it to a scrap yard to offload it. I'll probably keep the ramps in case I have a use for them in the future but I do not see any reason why I would need to keep the 5er .
Before hauling it off to the scrap yard, I'd suggest listing it for sale. You could probably get a few more bucks than scrap weight.

leeinmemphis

Before hauling it off to the scrap yard, I'd suggest listing it for sale. You could probably get a few more bucks than scrap weight.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess it couldn't hurt to post it up first. I had back surgery 3 months ago and really don't need to be wrestling something that big/heavy at home without help or the right equipment.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a good shop crane it will lift even the heavy 5th wheel. That's how I loaded mine into my Dodge when I picked it up. There is still a market for them so list it for at least a few months. Guys use them to build dollies.