• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

does anyone know what this steel plate is for?

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good question. Can't say as I've seen those plates on any of the deuces I've done. Do you have the complete serial number? Off the left front frame section, near the shock?

TJP

HAVE ID #AC03471-532-108993

Cant see serial # on the frame. Is it visible with out opening the hood?

WolfWalking

How the about simplest answer, it could be the only shim they had to attach the other bracket with. That or a nice 500 dollar "Bracket, Special, one each" to up the cost of the vehicle.
:-?

jesusgatos

On my M109, there are brackets that extend downwards from the box and keep it centered from side-to-side. Those plates keep the from contacting the frame. Maybe your truck had a box on it at one time?

TJP

On my M109, there are brackets that extend downwards from the box and keep it centered from side-to-side. Those plates keep the from contacting the frame. Maybe your truck had a box on it at one time?
My truck started out as a m109, but when I got it the box was already taken off. I think you have figured it out the plates must be there to protect the box and frame from improper wear.

Thank for the info.

Tim

DUECE-COUPE

Plate ID

It could be a frame protection plate. Some deuces were dumps, and it looks Like the plate is in the right place to protect the frame from the dump bed guides as they came down after dumping their load. Check the age of you truck. The Army being what it is, probably contracted ALL the truck frames to be the same, so they could be configured any way they wanted them to be.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Older M109's (gassers) also have these brackets which are bolted to the box subframe only; but they are spaced out a few mm and there are no plates on the frame.
Adding these plates must have been just one of the many "upgrades" from sometime during the 70's.

G.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be a frame protection plate. Some deuces were dumps, and it looks Like the plate is in the right place to protect the frame from the dump bed guides as they came down after dumping their load. Check the age of you truck. The Army being what it is, probably contracted ALL the truck frames to be the same, so they could be configured any way they wanted them to be.

This truck was not a deuce dump. The deuce dump had a different trunion plate and reinforcement plates rivited along the outside of the frame rails.
The second pic shows the tipper trunion plate and rivited side piece.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks