• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does bypass FDC raise egt to a unsafe level

Tim callahan

I'm new to steel soldiers I just got a 1970 m35a2 with 4100 miles on it I picked it up about 60 miles from home coming home the max speed on flat ground it would do is 50 I put new filters in it and they were full of rust now it will only go 35 to 40 at best so Im going to bypass the TDC thinking it might have rust trapped in it but I don't have a promoter in it yet so eny knowledge on this subject would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeepsinker

Short answer, yes. It can raise your egt to unsafe levels. You probably still have air trapped in the system from the filter changes. Let it idle for anow hour or so and drive it around for 20- 30 miles to see if it will straighten out. You do need to bypass the FDC anyway though for engine safety. You can get a cheap boost gauge and just tune it to run around 10-12 pounds of boost with the whistler turbo, or 15-18 pounds with the non whistler turbo, then use common sense and back off the throttle a little at a time pulling long grades and steep hills.

brianp454

In addition to what jeepsinker said, check out JATonka's site. He has a good paper that explains it well. You should get a pyrometer and boost gage installed. If your budget is tight you can do a boost gage using a 0-15psi pressure gage, some tubing and and single brass fitting on the intake elbow. My first one used some leftover copper wire to hold it to the dash. A stock LDT will peg out at 4-5psi boost and it will go up to 13-15psi after you bypass the FDC. You should back out of it a bit and keep EGTs down below 1200F or so. I have a youtube vid on bypassing the FDC.

Tim callahan

So what makes me think I might have rust in the fdc is the filters I pulled out had big chunks of rust on the inside and out so I switched the primary to a spin on and put two new seconddary filters in pulled the tank pressure washed the inside best I could dried it out then I pulled the fuel presser bypass out and ran the pump to flush any rust out of that then I took it for a drive still no power so last night I bypassed the fdc so I hope that rust didn't mess up the injector pump. And thanks for sharing all your knowledge

brianp454

It sounds like it's just going to take you some time to clean the rust and crud out of the lines. You may want to bite the bullet and replace the lines. Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks