• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does diesel go bad?

USMC6062

I got a M54 that I'm cutting up, and it has what looks like half a tank of fuel in it. As far as I know the truck hasn't been ran in at least two years probably more than that though. I can't find any info on the internet about if diesel goes bad and loses anything important in it. I would siphon it out leaving what crap has settled on the bottom hopefully on the bottom and filter what I do get out of it. Can I run this stuff as is, or do I need to add something to it to bring it back to life. I could run a little at a time in my deuce to use it up I guess. Thanks, Alex

uoa

No need to add anything, diesel is nothing like gas in this respect, but if you can drain off the water that has probably collected in the bottom, you will be much better off.

scooter01922

Diesel doesn't go bad like gas, it can certainly collect quite a bit of water and then as a result start growing sludgy crud. As long as you filer it a bit i say run it.

TheBuggyman

Yes, diesel does go bad just like gasoline. We have intensive fuel maintenance programs here at work which include additives and filtering and UV systems.

Last Fall my buddy was trying to start his 855 Deere track loader and it would not fire with the 60+ gallons of old fuel in it. We drained the bad fuel, added fresh, bled the system and she fired right up. It ran rough for a while and then just smoothed right out. His diesel had a slight smell like turpentine.......

Also, algae can and does grow in diesel fuel,

uoa

Yes, diesel does go bad just like gasoline. We have intensive fuel maintenance programs here at work which include additives and filtering and UV systems.

Last Fall my buddy was trying to start his 855 Deere track loader and it would not fire with the 60+ gallons of old fuel in it. We drained the bad fuel, added fresh, bled the system and she fired right up. It ran rough for a while and then just smoothed right out. His diesel had a slight smell like turpentine.......

Also, algae can and does grow in diesel fuel,
It will grow algae, but if it smelled like turpentine you might have had some bad gas, not diesel. Thats exactly what bad gas smells like.

OldGoat

I think if it has a green tint to it, your ok, but if it's a brown or other color it's not worth using in your engine.

reloader64

I bought an old Chevrolet with a 6.2 liter diesel in it. It had been sitting at least two years, according to the inspection sticker. Repaired the engine, started it right up and drove it. Burned probably 10 gallons of old fuel, no problems. I say, watch out for water and trash, and burn it.

Scott

davidkroberts

ive had some real issues with bad diesel in the past. Algea can and does clog filters and no telling what other issues you might have. If your having to ask i would say dont do it unless you have too.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I am trying to salvage old fuel, I try to wit till winter. The water freezes in the bottom, then I run it through a screen filter while I am pouring it into my shop furnace fuel tank. "Old" is not as much of a problem as "dirty" is.

Lee in Alaska

uoa

If I am trying to salvage old fuel, I try to wit till winter. The water freezes in the bottom, then I run it through a screen filter while I am pouring it into my shop furnace fuel tank. "Old" is not as much of a problem as "dirty" is.

Lee in Alaska
Not everyone gets the wonderful winters you have up there!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can add NAPA's Bio Con algae killer to it to be safe, after you make sure you do not get contaminants in it. Algae shows up as a brown deposit in filters and a cloudy appearance in the fuel you might mistake for fine rust. Bio Con cleared it up in my neighbor's tractor.
Regards Marti

TheBuggyman

It will grow algae, but if it smelled like turpentine you might have had some bad gas, not diesel. Thats exactly what bad gas smells like.
I know you don't know me but I think a few on this board can vouch....

I own my own excavating/clearing company, work on my own equipment and build my own engines.

I think I know the difference between gas and diesel, do you?

emr

look for dirt and water , drain the filters a little . and the tank if U think U see anything funny in the tank when looking with a flash light, to be honest the chances of it being bad are slim...it would have to be very very very old, rust in the tank due to a low fuel level would be the most concern, but again slim in my opinion....Run it..Randy

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel does have storage problems, My M54 had been in storage several years, we dumped in some additive to combat the alge, or as they call it in the marine industry, "bilge bugs" as well as some restore, mixed it with some fresh, and it worked OK. Once we got all of it run through and changed filters and all new, the truck ran better and better each time out.
You CAN use it, but do yourself and your rig a BIG favor, don't get cheap and put the treatment in. You will not regret it. We lay the tugs and diesel powered boats up with treatment every winter for this very reason. Just DON'T over treat it, its just as bad. The directions work fine.

saquishmike

Be careful ( shocking) the fuel with bioborg or any anti alge treatment. It does a great job killing and cleaning but it all goes down the line and you will be changing filters pretty often till it is all gone. So if you need to move any distance or work the piece it will be interupped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks