• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does GL allow minor work on trucks at Barstow or Nellis.

philofab

Looking at buying a five ton from Nellis or Barstow. Will they let me change out batteries, top off fluids, or bleed injectors on site? Or do I need to tow the truck off site first? Thanks.

quickfarms

Lately Barstow has just wanted us to get it out of there.

They got upset that we were airing up tires in there yard a couple of months ago.

Two weeks ago they were acting like we were wasting there time because it took a while to load the truck on the landow from the hole they had the truck parked in.

I think it depends on the lot that the item is located in. In the past all of the GL stuff was in there lot but now it is all mixed up and spread out.

philofab

Hmm, I might have to get with someone with a trailer and winch to load it up and get it off property so I can make it road worthy and inspect it.

I'd like to bid on non running trucks but if I have to hire someone with equipment to get it out it might negate the saving from bidding on a runner.

quickfarms

The problem with the non running trucks is that the issue could be minor such as dead batteries or it could have had all of the fluids drained a decade ago.

Personally I have them towed to the shop so that they can be inspected and serviced.

philofab

I don't trust other people to work on my rigs. I have had bad luck in the past with substandard work. I'll do it myself.

I lost a wheel on my Bronco in Lucerne deep off of Bessimer Mine Rd due to a shop stripping lugs nuts after I bought a new set of wheels and tires for $2500+ dollars. I ended up having to waste 3 hours fixing it in the middle of nowhere and $1800 in quarter panel damage.

philofab

Judging by your avatar are you sure the guys at the shop screwed up or was it the nut behind the wheel :) Just saying ,,,,,,,,,,
Haven't had an issue in the three years since... and I just recently upgraded it to 5/8-18 studs. I had wheels put on it a few weeks after I bought it, if I had be aware of the issue I would have fixed it. Impact wrenches and morons don't go together.

I don't really know anyone in the Barstow area with a shop and my last experience breaking down there was not great (lost a belt on a 59 Ford with a BBC, parts guy wanted to look the belt up instead of using the part number I gave him). I do plan on bringing my buddy with me. He worked on CUCVs, HMMWVs, LMTVs, Deuces, 8 & 900 series trucks, and other stuff for 8 years while enlisted in the Army. He recommended I read all the TMs for whatever I ended up buying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks