• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does/has anyone here used STP oil treatment in their generators?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious to know if anyone here runs STP oil treatment in their gensets?

I've used STP in every gasoline and diesel engine I've ever owned, from mowers to trucks and never had a problem. Matter of fact it has probably saved by hide a time or two with engines running low on oil.

Just wondering if anyone else here uses it and your thoughts/recommendations.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was told never to put it in an air cooled motor, I put it in my VW in 1970 and it blew up that evening on the way back to college.

rustystud

I was told never to put it in an air cooled motor, I put it in my VW in 1970 and it blew up that evening on the way back to college.
Yeah I never touch the stuff since I learned about it in Tech School. None of the instructors had anything good to say about it !
Over all these years I have personally seen the damage it can do to an engine. Just stay with a good engine oil like "Rotella" or "Dello" .
The only additive I use is a good ZDDP additive for my non-roller cam engines.

CMPPhil

Hi

Talking about oil treatments is a little like talking about politics, some people swear by them others swear at them. Yes, I use ZDDP to make up for stuff taken out of oils since my engines were designed. Nothing is going beat using good grade oils, and changing regularly.

Cheers Phil

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know what generator you have but you should never ever need a oil additive, just the right oil. If you are burning oil then you have other issues that should be addressed. I worked for a company that had to switch all their high pressure pumps to full synthetic to stop seizing issues. After that, I have only ran full synthetic in my vehicles and I get a mile more per gallon and I change every 7500 miles instead of 3,000. Generators run infrequently so I use Rotella T4. I will be switching to Rotella T5 for my personal generators. The 500kw generators I service have 1200 hp detroits and I put full synthetic in them. Oil temp is actually lower at load. So less friction saves money now and later! It pays for itself in fuel savings. Fuel is a different story and you do want to research additives based on your location and blend of fuel that you use.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to all for the replies.

I'll stick with quality oil and filter changes in the generator and skip any additives.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It wasn't the STP that blew that up, It was the mad drive to get back to the party...you had the VW floored, didn't you?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I never touch the stuff since I learned about it in Tech School. None of the instructors had anything good to say about it !
Over all these years I have personally seen the damage it can do to an engine. Just stay with a good engine oil like "Rotella" or "Dello" .
The only additive I use is a good ZDDP additive for my non-roller cam engines.
It has zddp, http://www.stp.com/products/oil-additives/oil-treatment/

Many years back, I worked with some very high horse power motor builds, and I recall we actually used it when assembling the motors and when breaking them in.

I don't recall a single oil related failure.

Last edited:

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Many years back, I worked with some very high horse power motor builds, and I recall we actually used it when assembling the motors and when breaking them in.

Thanks,

I've also used it in the assembly of many engines undergoing rebuilds and never had a problem. I also use it in all my vehicles, gas and diesel. They all are approaching 200k or past it.

Last edited:

rustystud

I have no problem using STP for assembly work. It sticks well and during "first start-up" prevents wear and galling. I was referring to constant use as in every oil change.

rustystud

Don't know what generator you have but you should never ever need a oil additive, just the right oil. If you are burning oil then you have other issues that should be addressed. I worked for a company that had to switch all their high pressure pumps to full synthetic to stop seizing issues. After that, I have only ran full synthetic in my vehicles and I get a mile more per gallon and I change every 7500 miles instead of 3,000. Generators run infrequently so I use Rotella T4. I will be switching to Rotella T5 for my personal generators. The 500kw generators I service have 1200 hp detroits and I put full synthetic in them. Oil temp is actually lower at load. So less friction saves money now and later! It pays for itself in fuel savings. Fuel is a different story and you do want to research additives based on your location and blend of fuel that you use.
Your "Detroits" have roller cams so no need for any ZDDP type of additive. I too only use Synthetic oils. In my engines, transmissions, differentials and transfer-cases. I have for decades now. My vehicles bodies wear out before thier drivetrains fail.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used STP and other oil additives from time to time in my 93 Corolla (but not every time) and it currently has 427K on it. Service advisors trot out a salesman every time it comes in because it's five generations behind the new stuff and OEM parts are getting hard to find.

BEASTMASTER

I don't have anything good to say about it. I used it back in the 60's in my trucks engines, and after putting it in my trucks engines, they both blew up. My dad told me to " STOP" using that " CRAP ".

1800 Diesel

You took the words right out of my mouth--years ago I did some hot-rodding and whenever we rebuilt an engine, we used STP as a pre-lube and assembly lube. Put it generously on the rods and main bearings and journals, the cam lobes and lifters and also wiped a little in the cylinder bores. Did the same for standard non-performance car or truck engines too. Never had a failure during the first start-up and I never had concern about brand new parts not getting lubed. Agree with everyone else though, that it's not needed for oil additives for any engine if you're using the correct oil for the application.

rustystud

I don't have anything good to say about it. I used it back in the 60's in my trucks engines, and after putting it in my trucks engines, they both blew up. My dad told me to " STOP" using that " CRAP ".
The problem with "STP" and other additives like it is they make the oil to thick to flow properly. You wouldn't use gear oil in your high revving engine would you ? The same applies here. It can gum up things like your oil filter and oil pump pick-up screen. I've actually seen that. The screen was just a mass of thick gooey oil and the engine starved of oil. The customer couldn't understand why his engine failed. He faithfully added "STP" to every oil change. What he didn't understand was as engines age they tend to have increased blow-by. Which is just basically a lot of carbon at that point. Mix that in with a heavy based oil and you get some serious gunk. Of course as in everything, everyone has had different life experience's. Maybe in yours "STP" has been a good and faithful friend. All I can say is you need to use it wisely.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Don't put it into generator engines. Just put the Marvel mystery oil, STP, naptha, in the Deuce tank and burn it. Works good. Anything but diesel engine crankcase drain oil, can't get the soot out.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I used some once!

Along in the early '70s I bought an International, 2 axle cab & chassie, 4 x 4 at surplus. It had a 265 in line 6 gasser, W/air on it, had great rubber (8.25 x 20), and had had a12' flatbed on it with an Arctic grade canvas top. It came from Eielson AFB. I guessed that it had hauled stuff to the flight line, as it was blue. When I went to pick it up, It wouldn't start, but I knew the engine cold. I pulled the valve cover & somebody had backed out a couple of exhaust valve tappets all the way/ I made adjustments on the spot/& drove it away, not thinking too much of the blue smoke. After tune up, the addition of 5th wheel for 28' semi-trailer, etc., I took off down the AlCan for a load of stuff in Dawson Creek - 3100 miles round trip (back when the Road was fun to drive), camping as I went. It ran perfect, but it became abundantly clear it was using excessive oil, & I was desperate for some remedy, after a couple hundred miles......(if there was one)... I started using STP with the oil. Had to stop at about every road house for STP & oil. Total was an honest 17 gallons of oil & probably pushing 2 gallons of STP for the trip - but I made it. I do believe the STP cut down my oil consumption some, but who knows? Later that summer & did an "in frame" in the yard/found no taper in the cylinders, honed heck out of them, ground the valves & got 100,000 miles out of her.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks