• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does manufacturer of MEP-002A matter?

mrcarman

I'm curious about opinions on whether the manufacturer of an MEP-002A matters? In other words, does it matter if the unit is manufactured by Onan, Libby, or Hollingsworth? I've seen posts where posters have said it doesn't matter because all use the same parts and the units are just assembled by the different manufacturers. But I also vaguely recall seeing that Bob at Green Mountain Generators typically acquires Onan for some reason.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

leedawg

So they are all pretty much identical due to military specs. For what its worth though seems as though the units that are in better condition that I have run across, and again I qualify this with the statement in my humble experience, have been the libby units. Maybe I just like the name better I dunno all the units I own are Libby built. That being said allot of the units ive run across as well are Frankenstein machines that have pieced together from parts made by both manufactures. Included a few parts on one of my units has a few parts from a hollingsworth machine on it. So the parts are all identical but perhaps im just for some unfounded reason bias to the libby units.

Jimc

i could be wrong here but wasnt libby a company that was owned by onan. onan just put the assembly of the set under that company name. i swear i read that somewhere before

screejunk

Bob here from GMG. No, it doesn't matter. There are so many variables other than "brand" that are important and one doesn't know until one gets the genset home. Many units like the MEP002A and MEP003A are component-ized and any one of these components could have been swapped during a gensets life. So the engine may be original, but Distribution Box, could have been swapped out at a later date. So, I would make this a definite no...

bchauvette

We all know about the quality at R.R.D. or lack of. People looking for a classic VW beetle won't consider a Mexican built bug. The soviet built AK's where much better than the Chinese AK's. Perhaps the same applies to where MEPs are built.

Keith_J

The engines are all Onan. Onan sold the design rights to the U.S. Government as a military standard, even though they were only used for generators and one application as a hydraulic power unit. The generator is also an Onan design sold as a military standard.

Just like the LMTV line which was first contract produced by Stewart and Stevenson in Sealy TX which reorganized under BAE after S&S filed for bankruptcy...then Oshkosh won the next round of contracting...there isn't any difference between the three as inspection requirements are the same.

likewise with M16s produced by Colt, Hydramatic, TRW and Armalite. Now the Mattel M16s were a myth. Later, FNMI made the A2s...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks