• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does my flywheel look ok?

yolner

I'm trying to decide whether to take the flywheel out and do the rear main (doesn't leak yet) or be lazy and just install the new clutch parts. What do you think?

Attachments

DieselBob

Just my 2cents but because you are there I would have the flywheel surfaced to mate with the new disc and replace the rear main seal and pilot bushing. Not sure of the weight but shouldn't be hard to remove and install using guide bolts.

yolner

If that's all it weights I'm definitely going to pull it. The TM writers and I must have different definitions of very heavy :) Thanks for the advice guys.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I replaced the clutch and pressure plate on my Deuce, I intended to replace the seal as well. My old seal did not leak a drop and several friends talked me out of replacing the seal. They had several stories of people replacing their old non-leaking seals with the result that their new seals started leaking. Several thousand miles later my seal is still not leaking.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If it were me, I'd just put it back together. I do think having the flywheel resurfaced is a good idea though.

Ord22

When I was in the army, We always have install a new seal in, along with a pilot bearing when we replace the clutch. We did it because we didn't want to go back into it later.

dobyg75

When I replaced the clutch and pressure plate on my Deuce, I intended to replace the seal as well. My old seal did not leak a drop and several friends talked me out of replacing the seal. They had several stories of people replacing their old non-leaking seals with the result that their new seals started leaking. Several thousand miles later my seal is still not leaking.
In my experience all the seals that have leaked after being replaced have been installed wrong or were broken during installation since your there do the seal and have the flywheel faced worth the extra comfort knowing it was done right and you know you wont have to do it again anytime soon

treeguy

Dumb question without looking at the TM, did you pull the engine or the tranny? Probably the tranny, FUN! What lead you to this point, doing the clutch? On the deuce, to do the rear main you have to take off the fly wheel? I thought it could be done by removing the oil pan, like other vehicles, no? A leaking rear main will give you engine oil from the bottom of the bell housing plug right? The only other oil would be gear oil from the tranny input seal so one would be able to tell the differance.