• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does my truck have this??

DIESELGREEN

Got a question about thle glow plug resistor bank. Supposedly they are mounted on the firewall, I know what they look like, but do not see one on my 86. Now is it true that if it has one of the newer style silver glow plug relays (which mine does) that it will not have one? Or have I just not found it yet...any input would be helpful.

DIESELGREEN

Yeah, have all of them in paper. Does not have that behind the air cleaner. Hmmm. I have read before that if it had the newer silver relay, then it would not have the resistor bank (which doesn't compute, and I know my glow plugs are all getting the right voltage.

Westech

CPL
that has NOTHING to do with the resistor bank (color of the relay) . The bank drops the volts of both batteries down to 12 ish when the glow plugs are powered (takes power from both batteries)
If the bank goes bad all you have to do is move the power wire to a 12 source and your good to roll. Only "thing" is that you are drawing from one battery.

DIESELGREEN

pics will help us help you.
I can't get a decent pic right now due to where it's parked and not wanting to piss the neighbors off by starting it at midnight (lol) but i double checked with a light and there is nothing back there. I don' t see a place where one would have even been before (part outline, holes etc)... I appreciate the input but does anyone have a pic of where one is on the truck?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the wires on the large terminals of your relay. One goes to the glow plugs. Where is your other wire going? That will tell us is you have been rewired with 12v(which is fine) or if it goes to a resistor.

Do you have a multi meter? Measure the voltage at the relay(key off) on the top large terminal.