• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does One Need an Alignment After Replacing Saggy Front Springs?

tage

Thinking out loud. First thought is yes, but I'm replacing to get back to stock height.
So the best answer I can think of is maybe? :???:

Anyone have first hand experience?

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is cheap insurance against premature tire wear. I would at least get it checked. Most tire companies don't charge just to check alignment. That takes all the guess work out of the equation. I do that any time I change front end parts.

Texas187

Haven't looked at what it would take but off the top of my head is a yea probably so, especially if an a-arm is removed. But kblazer87 said "not a bad idea to check". Can check yourself with an additional hand. Whatever you remove just mark it so you can align it back up.
If its sagged now than its probably cambered-in...Somethin' like that.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a civilian vehicle it is recommended to get realigned any time a suspension component is changed or altered.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would an alignment shop even have specs in their system for a military HMMWV? I'm guessing they would have to use the AM General Hummer specs. Who knows if that would be the same?

I can just see the "monkey wrench" alignment tech pulling an M998 around the parking lot and on the rack. Selfie's galore!

For the record, I would ask to pull my own vehicle on their rack due to "government insurance reasons" or some similar jargon...

tage

On a civilian vehicle it is recommended to get realigned any time a suspension component is changed or altered.
That was my first impression as well. But When I mess with civvy cars/trucks, I install lift/lower kits, and that effects the alignment with a lot of variables. I'm in the boonies, so it's not really worth it to take it to the nearest town for alignment.
I agree it will just mess with the camber. Can't get any worse then the unloaded rear end!! :roll:

Texas187

If just camber than id pick a flat spot on the rim maybe even cut 2x4 etc. if needed and slap a level on to it. And just gauge your tread over time for wear, and if so then take it in. I do my own front/rear on my Wildcat...these suckers arnt daily drivers so could be an economical start.

Stein12501

Not to steal your thread but has anyone aligned the rear axle? Mine is way out and runs down the road dog-legged. I've read thru the TM's but not sure how to align the back axle. It show the procedure for toe-in/toe-out and a procedure for alignment with front tires but doesn't make sense to me. The is a shop about 20 miles away that knows all about the Hmmwv's but I thought I'd ask here. Thanks,

Texas187

Yea man...All ya have to do is place the desired amount of washers on the stud behind the wheel in whichever direction it toe/cambered...works every time!

Texas187

JK Man! But if its that off id personally take it in...Im so ADD and when tackling something like this I just go waaay to in-depth. But others might know. Just find a pulling point and square it up both sides. Make a jig that runs flush center of wheel "say square tube/angle iron" that runs level past both sides of tires on both rear wheels. Pull two tested matched measuring tapes one in front and one in rear "touching outside of tread". Secure the "0"" end and let the tape end lay over the bar...adjust accordingly. Hope that makes sence!

You might have to lower the bar but as long as both sides are the same your good. Just make sure you keep the tapes spread aprt the same of tire size.

I would do the rears then run a line around it to get the front paired with rears. and a hair toe in maybe.

But dont listen to me...I dont even have my Humvee!

Last edited:

Stein12501

It sure does. Although I like the washer idea, it's quick and easy. The TM's show using a piece of string from the inside of the front tire to the outside of the rear tire. Then give a distance between the string and the outside rear of the rear tire as 0-180+/-3mm. Not sure what that means. I like your idea better and makes sense. Thanks for the help!!

Texas187

It sure does. Although I like the washer idea, it's quick and easy. The TM's show using a piece of string from the inside of the front tire to the outside of the rear tire. Then give a distance between the string and the outside rear of the rear tire as 0-180+/-3mm. Not sure what that means. I like your idea better and makes sense. Thanks for the help!!
HAHA...Though it was a good one. Whatever you do...have fun with it.

tage

That is awesome they use metric. So much easier.
I have done rough toe in with a tape measure on the track car. I would waste a set of tires before they had a chance to wear down due to alignment issues. :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks