• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does power steering still take man power

Gruemeyer

Hi

I am a Newbie .. IN fact my 1993 M109 arrived this morning on the back of a low boy trailer.. After the driver unloaded he stated what a pain .. no power steering..

I drove it to the back lot and noticed what I thought was Power assist (sort of).. My question is how easy should the steering be.. Mine still requires a bit of manly arm power? Can anyone advise..

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The system could be turned off. There IS a shutoff valve in the air line.

But yes, it is ASSISTED steering, not POWER steering. Can you hear it venting when turning left to right?

Gruemeyer

One more time

Hi

I am a Newbie .. IN fact my 1993 M109 arrived this morning on the back of a low boy trailer.. After the driver unloaded he stated what a pain .. no power steering..

I drove it to the back lot and noticed what I thought was Power assist (sort of).. My question is how easy should the steering be.. Mine still requires a bit of manly arm power? Can anyone advise..
Hi Folks.. If the power assist is functioning correctly.. is the steering still heavy?

I do not expect it to steer like my Crown Vic..however want to know if it should be better than an old farm tractor without a suicide knob?

Thanks again.:deadhorse:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll know the difference if it's working. Still takes a bit of effort on mine, but you'd know if it was working. The valve is not on the dash. It's in the engine compartment on the firewall. You can't miss the little butterfly valve. Make sure it's fully open.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hi

Must have been a YOUNG driver who had never driven a truck with "ARMSTRONG" steering

Gruemeyer

Yes young driver.. althouigh he was a farmer as well.. new combines are like driving Corvette.. My 1st car was my parents rambler 1965 550 classic. manual steering.. The 1998 Crown Carpenter bus I am trying to sell have power assist and have driven 28 ft. box trucks. that is it.

I will have the guys at Hobbs automotive ( Business neighbors with big rig techs).drive her to see what they think..

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

Just found this on ebay by chance (He found CC Equipment's PS kit )

What do you guys think?
Search deuce power steering. The most recent thread has a long discussion about this torque generator and the pluses/drawbacks as well as other options.

(My favorite being Gringletaube's set-up.)

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just found this on ebay by chance any thoughts etc.
I think you should read the rules, no posting ebay adds unless they are your own. Your question has been answered, if you turn the wheel back and forth, and cannot hear the air exhausting, it isn't working. Did you wait long enough for the air pressure to build? Some of the systems "assist" won't turn on till your over 60psi.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmetalmiki

WHY all the puzzlement?.. Simply look UNDER the truck, and IF your truck has "air assist" then you will clearly see the power assist piston attatched to your steering gear. AND you WILL hear a definate "hiss air disscharge" as you turn the steering wheel. (above 60 psi as Gimpy said.). IF you can turn the steering at stationary with ease then you have assist!..lugs like a b..tch? you haven't!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"Originally Posted by Gruemeyer
Just found this on ebay by chance (He found CC Equipment's PS kit )

What do you guys think? "

That is in our classifieds

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks