• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does the Injector Pump account for elevation changes?

Ilikemtb999

So my m1009 runs well around town (5,000-6,000ft) and runs well up the highway (9,000ft or so) but I start getting black smoke at anything higher. At 10,000ft+ it smokes at idle. My egt’s never get much over 900*f.

Should the injector pump compensate for elevation change?

As far as I know my injector pump hasn’t been rebuilt unless it was done by the military and have been thinking of getting it redone.

Bighorn

So my m1009 runs well around town (5,000-6,000ft) and runs well up the highway (9,000ft or so) but I start getting black smoke at anything higher. At 10,000ft+ it smokes at idle. My egt’s never get much over 900*f.

As far as I know my injector pump hasn’t been rebuilt unless it was done by the military and have been thinking of getting it redone.
No.
Diesels have a wide open intake manifold.
The only thing the injection pump does is inject fuel in different quantities dependent on throttle inputs via the cable at variable injection timing dependent upon engine speed.
It is all mechanical and not very sophisticated.
But dead simple, robust, and easy to work on.

If you are only getting black smoke at altitude, an injection pump rebuild can't really help with that because decreasing the amount of fuel or increasing the amount of air is the only solution and the former would cause you problems at low altitude.
But, if your injection pump has other issues or you just want to get it done;
oregonfuelinjection.com sent me a rebuilt model that has been superb.
My old ip was weeping fuel from a lot of places.

I live at 8,990 feet too.
If I mash the throttle pedal I get black smoke.
I try to just use enough throttle to keep it from rolling coal.
Any more than that is just wasting fuel as black smoke is a sign of unburnt fuel.

A turbo would help us high altitude folks because it can jam more air into the cylinders to compensate for the lack of air at altitude

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

No the DB2 pump is set to whatever it is set at when metered. It doesn't change on it's own. You may need to have it rebuilt and metered for that elevation. The DB2 on my older IDI F250 used to get ok fuel mileage up at 5000ft but once I hit the Dakotas coming home I would actually loose power cause the air got denser but I didn't have the fuel to give it to it. Once you have driven a vehicle for awhile you know their characteristics and sweet spots.

Ilikemtb999

No. Diesels have a wide open intake manifold.
The only thing the injection pump does is inject fuel in different quantities dependent on throttle inputs via the cable at variable injection timing dependent upon engine speed.
It is all mechanical and not very sophisticated.
But dead simple, robust, and easy to work on.

If you are only getting black smoke at altitude, an injection pump rebuild can't really help with that because decreasing the amount of fuel or increasing the amount of air is the only solution and the former would cause you problems at low altitude.
But, if your injection pump has other issues or you just want to get it done;
oregonfuelinjection.com sent me a rebuilt model that has been superb.
My old ip was weeping fuel from a lot of places.

I live at 8,990 feet too.
If I mash the throttle pedal I get black smoke.
I try to just use enough throttle to keep it from rolling coal.
Any more than that is just wasting fuel as black smoke is a sign of unburnt fuel.

A turbo would help us high altitude folks because it can jam more air into the cylinders to compensate for the lack of air at altitude

Thanks for the explanation. So essentially it’s “normal”.

I do have a turbo which helps bombing down the road but idling or going slow on trails I get smoke at high elevations.

Mine isn’t leaking or anything.

Last edited:

fuzzpuss

I hate to say this but I will. I am not a real big believer in additives or anything like that.... but here it comes... I used to use Mobil 1 synthetic for my 1009. I worked with a friend who was a Amsoil dealer on the side. I bought a case of the diesel oil from him thinking not to much of it other than the price was a bit steep. But after the oil change when I would climb the grade from Pahrump to Vegas and back, wow is all I could say. I was amazed that oil could make that much of a difference.... no more black smoke, and more power and a bit better speed. No a huge difference but definitely noticeable. The banks turbo would be a nice addition but just a bit pricey.

Last edited:

Bighorn

So basically how mine is is how it is. That’s fine I guess. Just smelly on trail sometimes.
Dude, could be way worse.. you could be stuck with a 7.3 N/A
We had one a s a plumbing rig.
At least the 6.2 can rev up a little bit.
That N/A 7/2 had the tightest torque band of any engine I have ever driven.
Total piece of hampster fodder.

Ilikemtb999

Dude, could be way worse.. you could be stuck with a 7.3 N/A
We had one a s a plumbing rig.
At least the 6.2 can rev up a little bit.
That N/A 7/2 had the tightest torque band of any engine I have ever driven.
Total piece of hampster fodder.
With the turbo it’s not a complete turd, but my dd is a 6.0 2500hd so jumping back in the cucv is a lesson in patience going into the mountains. I may do some thicker head gaskets and studs then turn the boost up a bit more.

Bighorn

From my experience with the GM 6.2 vs the Ford (Jap) 7.3, I'd say the 6.2 is the superior motor by far.
Easier starts.
Better economy.
Wider torque range.
Better driveability.
That 7.3 is a total piece of crap unless it is turbo charged.
The 6.2 is only partially a piece of crap until it is turbocharged.
Not to mention the complete plastic nightmare and jail break steering wheel of the Ford trucks equipped with the 7.3 of that era.
What was it with the sloped dash that Ford and Dodge decide to use?
Crap sliding all over the place.
GM may have been cheap but their designs were sound.
Gosh, I despised that 7.3 Ford.
Yea, no wait to start.
But once it started, there was no parade.
Slow.
Crappy fuel economy.
Tiny torque band.
Serpentine belt tensioners flying off. clutch slave cylinder flying apart.
I would not describe the 6.2 as a DOG.
I would describe the 7.3 as a DOG.
Yikes.

snowtrac nome

same thing, an engine intended for natural aspiration operation, to get like performance at high altitude they a a low boost altitude compensating forced induction system to it. in this case it was a turbocharger in the old r2800 radial engines it was a crank shaft driven blower.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks