• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does the lunette ring rotate? and best postion?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It will rotate, but can be interesting to get it to move. It will not get you more ground clearance, just level out the trailer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You may have to break out the "blue flame speed wrench" and beat it like a red headed stepchild to get it to move.......they tend to be stuck in position after many years of being exposed to the elements.

You will have to loosen the big nut also.....if you have a large metal bar to put through the lunette to give you leverage it will help to get it to twist.

Navyt28c

Do you live anywhere near Sand Mountain, Ala. when I was stationed at Redstone we used to go to drag races at Sand Mountain, Baileyton, New Hope and Courtland, Ala.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get a pretty good swing on the rear corners of the lunette ring, with a 16# hammer (BFH).
When you get the lunette out, wire brush it good, then put some never-sieze on the taper & threads, before you put it back.

KaiserM109

Whatever you do, don’t damage that big nut; you won’t find a replacement. I was in too much of a hurry a few years ago and failed to notice that there was a ding in the threaded part of the lunette and turned the nut past it. It ruined the threads in the nut. Long story short, I couldn’t even find a place to order one.

What I did find is the large nut on a 16 wheeler’s wheel lug fits, but they are a little thin. I put 2 on it.

The lunette is tapered and has to move about ½ inch before it will start to turn. It is real hard to get to if it needs a whack. I used a hammer and a steel wedge to knock it loose. Grease it when you put it back in.

Navyt28c

What kind of box is that on the back of your Duece? My M35 had a large box like that and a wierd ladder welded above the spare to enter on the drivers side. Thanks for the heads up, I had thought about just cutting the nut off, and picking up a new one.

steelandcanvas

Whatever you do, don’t damage that big nut; you won’t find a replacement. I was in too much of a hurry a few years ago and failed to notice that there was a ding in the threaded part of the lunette and turned the nut past it. It ruined the threads in the nut. Long story short, I couldn’t even find a place to order one.
Arlyn, It took some doing, but I did find the correct nut for that 105. :smile:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks