• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does the odometer reading mean much on the old HMMWVs at Gov Planet auction?

orgnal

I been looking on Gov Planet and I see that some HMMWVs have only a few thousand miles. Do these odometer readings mean much? If the odometer readings don't mean anything, how would the military keep track of the vehicle usage and maintenance ? Thanks in advance.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I been looking on Gov Planet and I see that some HMMWVs have only a few thousand miles. Do these odometer readings mean much? If the odometer readings don't mean anything, how would the military keep track of the vehicle usage and maintenance ? Thanks in advance.
Mileage and hours are kept in the maintenance file, the old gauge reading then the NEW replaced gauge reading, so in this way the true reading is known to those who need to know. .

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

No...my hmmvpwv had all new gauges...everything was tan, gauges we green. Clearly new.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A better judge of mileage is the condition of the vehicle, wear of the paint, shocks, and similar.

Gunzy

Wear of paint is not a good one to judge by as many if not all military vehicles are stored outside for years and the paint can look really bad on a vehicle with only a few thousand miles. There truly are a lot of mil vehicles out there with VERY low miles. Yes, they change speed/odos in them when they break but the sheer number of low mile units can not be written of to guage changes. Look over the vehicle closely, pedal pads, underside, engine bay as these will give away the truth about if the odo is acurate or not. I have an M1031 with under 7K and it wasn't hard to prove that out with a thorough inspection.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks