• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does this look safe to you ?

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If its a competition vehicle or going to be used in the extreme, it could cause an issue, but the design of the axle should hold it well. I've a WWII 5 tonner that has the u-bolts on it the same way. But it didn't catch much "air" i'm willing to bet.2cents

eldgenb

The U bolts are fine, If you are nervous about the gap between the ubolt and the spring loosen them up and tap them inward and tighten them up. As far as the welding is concerned these frames are not treated steel, hardened, blued, dipped in chocolate or greased. The military TM goes over the process of making frame repairs via welding it back together so there is no problem with that. Everyone needs to stop screwing with your head, if you like the truck than just enjoy it.

jumpinford

That crooked ubolt will straighten itself. and when it does, it will be loose and will come apart. With ANY ubolt, after its tightened, you should use a hammer to hit the "u" end side to side, and then retorque to ensure it is as close to 90 degrees as possible. I saw that same thing when I was looking at that truck.

They also had a CUCV that was lifted, and the end of the leaf spring on the shackle was resting against the frame, as if the springs they used were too long. They really dont impress me. Seem like a krylon and tire job with no real knowledge of how to assemble a truck.

197thhhc

I am glad someone has seen these in person. Its a shame that the trucks arent as nice as the pics make them seem. But to turn trucks out as fast as they do you have to wonder about quality.

rickf

Are they using lift blocks on the front axle also? The u-bolt configuration is fine as long as you straighten them as mentioned. The tire to tank, WOW! Pick up a rock in the tire and you will slash the tank top to bottom.

Rick

eldgenb

Are they using lift blocks on the front axle also? The u-bolt configuration is fine as long as you straighten them as mentioned. The tire to tank, WOW! Pick up a rock in the tire and you will slash the tank top to bottom.

Rick
If you are referring to the 818 than last time I checked the fuel tanks had an extra piece of steel (armor) for the tank, it will survive just fine.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the axle is pinned to the block which is pinned to the spring. it cannot move anywhere. the ubolts should be straightened and retightened. otherwise no problem.

tom

spicergear

On my old M715 with BBC, Rockwells, and 46" XML's...I had the ubolts set up that same way and that truck had been put through some paces off road to say the least. I made mine and there was NO gap and the bends were clean. Like Tom said above...all is pinned. Only thing I noticed was the ubolt 'wrap' around the axle could start to spread apart slightly if the suspension was really worked hard and that was with NO lift block in the front. Do it again, I would weld small blocks on the outside of each ubolt on the bottom of the axle to prevent the bolt from that slight movement. Blocks on the rear are okay if kept to a minimum, on the front...used to be wasn't supposed to get through inspection.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are referring to the 818 than last time I checked the fuel tanks had an extra piece of steel (armor) for the tank, it will survive just fine.

You might want to check again cause my 818 tank has no armor and the tank on that truck is not off a 818.

deathrowdave

The only thing I would do different would be to guesset the lower shock mounts. The ubolts will be fine in this direction. All ubolts need to be retorqued after a few hundred miles of use. Just my 2cents !!!:driver:

197thhhc

This is what I love about this site. People sharing their opinions and helping to educate each other. I understand that this is acceptable and ok. However I will not do my bobbed deuces this way. We mount the rear axle the same way the front is mounted I think it looks more balanced.

CobraChris

Like someone else said, the U-bolts are there for clamping force. You know how much force is created by those ubolts being torqed down to spec? The axle is not going anywhere. It is surely not going to slide right out. Not to mention, no matter which way you turn them, it's the same basic thing. no advantage to doing it one way vs the other, except that if the bolts are upright (threads up) the threads don't get screwed up or hung up on stuff as much.

spicergear

Another popular reason for doing the U-bolts with the hardware up top at the spring is for offroad use. Look at the front U-bolts on a couple of dueces and look at the section of bolt sticking down and the threads on them. They're usually chunked up or have a bolt bent from tagging stuff offroad or in mud or whatever. How strong is your u-bolt when it gets impacted on something below the lower plate and bent? ;)

197thhhc

Another popular reason for doing the U-bolts with the hardware up top at the spring is for offroad use. Look at the front U-bolts on a couple of dueces and look at the section of bolt sticking down and the threads on them. They're usually chunked up or have a bolt bent from tagging stuff offroad or in mud or whatever. How strong is your u-bolt when it gets impacted on something below the lower plate and bent? ;)
I definately see your point. Has anyone flipped their front ubolts for this reason

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks