• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does your CUCV transmisson hum?

landry1

Ok, i have been told many times by mechanics that when you are at cruising speed (45 mph) the transmisson or something begins to hum or wind, and its fine because it is geared so low at 4:56. Is this the same for you too?? Please let me know.

Last edited:

skark_burmer

uh, i dont see how the rear end ratio has anything to do with transmissions humming at a certain vehicle speed.

As for mine, i dont hear anything over the roar of 6.2 liters of raw power.

If you are hearing something, might be a driveshaft issue? Might be loose or a worn joint. Just a guess.

Is your transfer case engaged and spinning the front shaft?

Mudstone

i only hear a hum/buzz when i engage the transfer for 4wd. check to see that you are dissengaged in 2H then backup like 10-15ft then unlock the hubs... see if your sound continues.

landry1

So none of you guys have this humming problem???? Also, when this happens the noise winds up more the faster you go... is it becuase of the low gearing? People say it is the gears winding, but i disagree....

Last edited:

91W350

I disagree too, the four I have lived with were all nice and quiet. The old flat tooth gear transfer cases in the Kaiser M715s would really talk to you at speed. Speed in one of those starts at about 35 mph. :-D

HardCorps79

I get a ton of noise in my M1009 over 45, too. Floor boards start vibrating and humming under my heels. More so, over 55mph. I just changed out the rear U-joint a few weeks ago, but probably need to do the front one on the rear drive shaft (at the T-case end). Probably need to check the rear bearings, and I know for a fact I need to check the alignz.ment. All the tires are wearing evenly except the rear passenger side (wearing on the inside). I changed the fluid in my T-case, so it should be good- pretty sure it's rear bearings, alignment or both.

Good luck tracking it down!

4bogginchevys

also I have noticed that the transfercase crossmember bolts (to frame) like to come loose. hum and potentially knocking of sorts can accompany this....might be time to check that?:-D

HardCorps79

I get a ton of noise in my M1009 over 45, too. Floor boards start vibrating and humming under my heels. More so, over 55mph. I just changed out the rear U-joint a few weeks ago, but probably need to do the front one on the rear drive shaft (at the T-case end). Probably need to check the rear bearings, and I know for a fact I need to check the alignz.ment. All the tires are wearing evenly except the rear passenger side (wearing on the inside). I changed the fluid in my T-case, so it should be good- pretty sure it's rear bearings, alignment or both.

Good luck tracking it down!

SmokeyDod

Whether you have the M1009 or M1008, 1028, 1010, 1031, should not make any difference. They Should NOT hum or whine. If they are, then something is wrong. It could be caused by several things--just to list a few- rear end or front end housing with worn ring and pinion, low fluid in housing including the transfer case, wheel bearings (usually make "roaring" sound. Just try to isolate where the sound it coming from. Check that are to see leaks, check to see if unusally warm or hot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks