• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doesn't take much to stick my 1031

Keith_J

I park my SECM in the south lot here at casa J as it is shaded and I am a shade tree mechanic. The remains of pacific hurricane Vance coupled with a cold front to give is 7" of much needed rain. Last night, son #2 hit a puddle of water on his way home from university and the engine quit. So I hop in The SECM for a rescue, only to be stopped spinning in 2" of mud. I know, street tires as it came from GL but they are M+S rated.

jumped out and locked hubs, threw it in 4H and got unstuck. Same thing coming back, hence the double tracks.

now in my front wheel drive diesel nazi foot locker (VW Jetta), there is nary wheel spin, and that is a manual transmission.

Attachments

Keith_J

Thanks, 4WD works. Feels weird to have the front hubs locked when driving on the road with the limited slip front. No, it was in 2WD on the hard surfaces.

I filled the ruts and spread coarse sand, looks like another mission today.

cucvrus

Get some real tires on that truck. Yours may be good tread depth but they are not cleaning themselves out very well and are sort of like jelly rolling the mud and making the tires slick and useless. The tires you have look like all season generic highway radials. You need some Goodyear Duratraks or some BFG mud terrains if you are going to operate off road with any confidence.
I use Goodyear MTR's or Goodyear Duratraks on all my CUCV's they provide awesome traction in all conditions. Not mention they make an M1009 look really good even with the stock 31 10.50 15" size tires on them. I always hear that from people. This is my opinion and I only offer it as that. No stone carving here.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In 2wd, yes. But when you get that D60 locker front end pulling as well, traction issues of the skinny street tires magically disappear.

Keith_J

Yes, in 4H, it is like on a cogway. Only without the noise. The issue is high tire pressure and resultant small contact patch. Because my car, parked just feet from the SECM, easily pulled itself free of the muddy moorings this morning with no wheel slip. And the fronts are just about down to the wear indicators. Manual transmission with a Diesel engine. Not a hint of spin. 205/55R16s.

tires on the truck are BF GOodrich Commercial TAs, stock 235/75r16. Rear pressure is 65 psi, front 45 psi.

Last edited:

Skinny

I'm amazed at how my M1031 on Goodyear MT's goes from being an absolute useless stuck brick in 2wd to tank in 4wd, not to mention these also have Detroits out back as well. I hate to say it but my Subaru Forester with a center and rear limited slip diffs on bald tires will run circles around any of my 4wd trucks during light snow conditions.

I imagine some engineer would try to figure out some equation of COG, axle loading, contact pressure, coefficient of friction, and power input giving us a good reason why you got stuck and how it just got whooped up by a TDI Jetta...I say grab the small lever on the floor and boot the skinny pedal. That usually fixes the lack of forward momentum or pinpoints the weakest point in the driveline.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I imagine some engineer would try to figure out some equation of COG, axle loading, contact pressure, coefficient of friction, and power input giving us a good reason why you got stuck and how it just got whooped up by a TDI Jetta.
Since Keith is an engineer I'm sure he can tell without the equation.

Drock

My M1028 came with Goodyear workhorse Extra grip's on it. They've bin really good tires ,lots of grip. And strong enough sidewalls to carry heavy loads. They hold 65-PSIhttp://www.summitracing.com/parts/gdt-752937300

Keith_J

The difference is tire pressure. Not tread pattern, those are essentially identical (Commercial TAs and Yokahama YK580s). Pressure in the tire dictates contact patch area, force equals product of pressure and area. And my 1031 has far more weight than the Jetta.

guess I could have let some air out but it was night and I had a mission.

Keith_J

The tires were molded in 2012, they might have 7000 miles on them. Since I don't go off road but a few times a year AND since 4wd gets me unstuck ( the 1031 chassis has a limited slip front), I will wait a few years for new rubber. These Commercial TAs are fine highway tires. Outstanding wet performance too.

cucvrus

OK let me get this correct. Each time a member of the SS website gets stuck we should post a picture of the vehicle in the area that it was stuck in? And then other members can offer advise on how to improve the off road traction issue that you are experiencing? I don't get it. Why are we giving advise only to hear that he wants no advise? It's a Mad Mad World. And Drock the Goodyear Workhorse was an excellent tire. It has been discontinued and the Goodyear Duratrak took it's place. It is also an excellent tire. Actually a tad better then the Workhorse for off road and snow plowing. The sidewall tread really makes it look good on the CUCV's. I am on my 3 set of the Duratraks. They only last about 30K in the conditions I use the truck. On / off road and snow and ice plowing. Good luck General and I wasn't prepared for the tire lecture or tire knowledge test. Good Luck with your M1031.

Keith_J

All in jest..this will not happen again.

1120181109.jpg1120181108.jpg

What happened? Well, the Beefy Goodrich tyres were old. And the YOUNGEST developed a nasty belt separation. Then I developed a positive cash flow..

Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx in 255 85 R16. On new 8" wide rims for stability. Or hub protection. DMV cannot get me for wide stance as it changed nothing.

Its wet down here, more rain coming. Only the positive cash flow thing keeps me from the trails. They are still great on road, might need a bit more toe out. Wear will tell.

No noise over the BFG Commercial TAs. Feel more stable even though I am up an inch. Or two thanks to the Air Lift.

LT67

All in jest..this will not happen again.

View attachment 748795View attachment 748796

What happened? Well, the Beefy Goodrich tyres were old. And the YOUNGEST developed a nasty belt separation. Then I developed a positive cash flow..

Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx in 255 85 R16. On new 8" wide rims for stability. Or hub protection. DMV cannot get me for wide stance as it changed nothing.

Its wet down here, more rain coming. Only the positive cash flow thing keeps me from the trails. They are still great on road, might need a bit more toe out. Wear will tell.

No noise over the BFG Commercial TAs. Feel more stable even though I am up an inch. Or two thanks to the Air Lift.
Had a set of those on my 79 K20 in 235 85 16... good all around tires. Still needed 4wd to get out of some slick stuff..

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am on my second set of these Cooper tires in 235/85R16 on my 1031 flat bed. They go really good in all conditions and are nice on hiway too. I have come up on new pickups stuck in the middle of the road and pulled around them in the bar ditch in really bad mud and never slid sideways because of the locking and limited slip rearends. They think my old pickup goes pretty good!
I got 20,000 miles on the first set hauling heavy trailers and 1300# hay bales all the time on loose gravel and rocky roads. Didn't have any flats until tread was gone on them either.
This may not sound like many miles but several sets before these the best was 10,000 miles and lots of flats. One set was bf Goodrich's that were a lot more expensive that had trouble making the 10,000 miles. Rubber was real soft and didn't go as good either.

Keith_J

The 1031 was designed for gear heads..mechanics who know how to drive. Limited slip front is great for unsticking but driving twisties in 4WD can be interesting to say the least. I have multiple recoveries from slick spots using the previous BFG Commercial TAs, never slipping.

With the first 140 miles on these new tires, I can say I am hooked. Just for a test, I was on a deserted highway down grade doing 60 MPH. I slipped the transmission in neutral to eliminate engine noise. DEAD QUIET. This was at 0415 in the morning, no traffic.

No abnormal wear noticed on the vent sprues (little threads sticking out of the tire when new). Still thinking of a bit more toe out to make them great.

LT67

The 1031 was designed for gear heads..mechanics who know how to drive. Limited slip front is great for unsticking but driving twisties in 4WD can be interesting to say the least. I have multiple recoveries from slick spots using the previous BFG Commercial TAs, never slipping.

With the first 140 miles on these new tires, I can say I am hooked. Just for a test, I was on a deserted highway down grade doing 60 MPH. I slipped the transmission in neutral to eliminate engine noise. DEAD QUIET. This was at 0415 in the morning, no traffic.

No abnormal wear noticed on the vent sprues (little threads sticking out of the tire when new). Still thinking of a bit more toe out to make them great.
Yeah, they're definitely quiet...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks