• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dog bone torque rod specs

Mackafd

Steel Soldiers Supporter

IMG_9979[1].jpg
I had a brand newtorque rod come apart. The bushing just pulled out of the bone. The metalsleeve and rubber just pushed out it was a lose fit. Is there a set of measurementsfor the bone? I would hate to buy a new one if I don’t have to. I have a fullset of inside micrometers so I can measure it I just need a spec on what the tolerancesare. I could push the bone on and off I am thinking defective part?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, it just slid in when you installed it?

Did the old one come out hard?

Mackafd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was replacing the brake light swich and when I looked back I saw whats in the photo. I could push the bone back in place it did take some force by hand and a tap of a hammer but was way lose for a pressed fit. I am woundering if the bone is bad or the bushing is bad. so I need to know what the specs are for the bushing and the bone so I know what to replace. these where less then a year old we installed them in march last year and bought all four lower rods from Mempis equipment.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So, it just slid in when you installed it?

Did the old one come out hard?
It looks like the center, that is supposed to be a press fit, just slid off and back on. I would contact Memphis and see what they say.

This is the reason I drilled and tapped the ones I did just this summer. I have a 1/4 inch washer that is bolted on, so mine cannot "slip" off.

Mackafd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
but if its that lose that you need to weld or bolt a plate on to the back that's saying there is an issue. I can understand if I used the truck hard or did tons of off roading. but I am luck if there is 200 miles since all four where replaced. the rest look good and tight. so makes me think this one end was a bad end. not sure if when they rebuild these the military must have had a go/nogo gauage or mesurments??

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I understand your point. I beat on mine pretty good and the stock rod ends lasted about 5 years. I'm planning on mine lasting 5-10 yrs, but I **** sure won't spend another 6hrs in a creekbed putting it back together. THATS the reason I put the washers on.

Mackafd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1952 gasser from Germany so its not a rock crawler anymore just a show and events truck. maybe a load of much or stone but that's about it.

rustystud

View attachment 663890
I had a brand newtorque rod come apart. The bushing just pulled out of the bone. The metalsleeve and rubber just pushed out it was a lose fit. Is there a set of measurementsfor the bone? I would hate to buy a new one if I don’t have to. I have a fullset of inside micrometers so I can measure it I just need a spec on what the tolerancesare. I could push the bone on and off I am thinking defective part?
Having done over 400 sets of Breda brace-rod bushings (look and act just like our dog-bone bushings) I can say that the rod has stretched it's bore. Probably due to using an "over-size" bushing installer. It would act as a reamer. Seen it happen many times. Or it got stretched out due to too many bushings installed in it. Either way, the rod is "Junk" now.

Mackafd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a set of specs and mesurments and found that the hole is 30 thousands of an inch oversize. so I called Memphis Equipment and they said they that they would not honor any warentee on the part because it could have stretched from use and other worn out parts. but he did comment that yes we did order all the rods at the same time last year. so I guess I got a defective part that they will not replace.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks