• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dog Tag wired to engine?

Sasquatch

Hi, thanks to everyone for all the info I got off the site so far, I posted a newbie post in the command post section.

I was looking at an M1008 that I'm planning to get tomorrow, under the hood I noticed there was a dog tag stamped with what looked like a serial number or code stamped on it, attached with thin steel wire to the top of the engine.

Anyone seen this before? have any idea what the number might mean? rebuild or replaced part?

Thanks. I'll post a pick if I get the truck.

raiburn

I wondered that too. One of my two trucks has that. Both look all original, but some have suggested the dog tag means it is a replacement motor. Joe.

Silverback

I have found dog tags on all types of military equipment, some had unit and company markings on them, haven't found any on any of my MV's yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if I did. They last a lot longer than a paper tag. HTH, Dan.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a lot of times a dog tag in a out of the way place is a vehicle IDer if it is BORROWED by another unit, repainted and remarked, saw this in VIETNAM, though after a while you look and find them, at least most

Last edited:

milspecwrench

That should be the transmission or engine component number, Usually on engines that had been changed, Because the origional SN was on the block covered by other components, and on a paper tag on the valve cover, Some "Smarter commands" mandated installing these tags, (I don't think it was a headshed pratice.)
Back when we used to pull oil samples you were supposed to verify the "componet numbers" while you did it, to ensure the information in ULLS-G was correct, (Mile, Hours, Oil added, ETC.)
I hope this makes sense,

Sasquatch

Thanks for the info, here's a pic of the tag, wired to the manifold. Looks like some work was done to the engine, including a whole new oil pan and new valve covers.

In order to help prevent those midnight requisitions mine has a chain bolted under the seat that can be padlocked around the steering wheel.

Attachments

The G Man

Thanks for the info, here's a pic of the tag, wired to the manifold. Looks like some work was done to the engine, including a whole new oil pan and new valve covers.

In order to help prevent those midnight requisitions mine has a chain bolted under the seat that can be padlocked around the steering wheel.

Chains don't work. All decent Military mechanics have access to a Master Key. I think civilians call them big ass bolt cutters. :grd:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"All decent Military mechanics have access to a Master Key. I think civilians call them big ass bolt cutters. "

One of the very essential tools when you are on a "Borrowed" = "midnight requisition" = "unauthorized change of Hand Receipt Holder" = "creative acquisition" MISSION

Last edited:

Sasquatch

True, guess it was more to prevent that soldier that wasn't paying attention from jumping in the wrong truck by accident and taking off.