• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead Helped Me Out Today! Says Hi to Gimpy Rob

Won a military surplus Liftking LK-20C container handler/forklift from NY State and luckily Doghead met me in Syracuse, NY DOT yard in his CUCV to pick up a Holmes 750 wrecker towbar he has been working on delivery logistics for years. He quickly pitched in trying to help us get the counterweight removed but it was not going to happen without a torch. Two of four bolts would not yield even to 2000 ft/lbs of impact from our 1" swench. Doghead spoke to the crane operator about help and he suggested we take the 13' high mast off. I was under the impression that help removing the mast was not in the cards and a simple lift of the 9000 lb counterweight was pushing it. Well, we got the 8' forks off (approx. 1250 lbs each!) and the crane rigged and working against one hour of time only available had it off in 45 minutes. Thank you Doghead sir! And taking a picture for posterity he said something about posting the picture of him for Gimpy Rob to see.....

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it runs well.

all 43000 lbs of it.

Ummm, Doghead is the guy on the left, my son is on the right, the military rough terrain container hsndler without a mast now behind them is a Liftking LK 20C. Gimpy, don't zoom in on Doghead's gloves!

Big difference in going down the road around 14' high or 13' high. I am even going to see about overwidth permit for NY thruway now. The M932 would be happier, me too!

The 10k Pettibone is certainly easier to move in one piece. Looked pretty mean behind the M818 on the way home from Drum. It will be interesting to see them parked beside each other. I was unloading some stuff the other day with it and the guys thought i was joking about it being the small forklift.

Lol, tonight i can sleep for the first time since winning this forklift without xanax! Last night the load was going to be over weight, over width, over height and unable to travel on the "big road." Doghead, you're the man!

rickf

Hey Doghead, How many back meds you takin' tonight?:roll::roll::twisted:
I have been to Dogheads in the dead of winter and loaded a pallet of ammo cans in a freezing rain. He offered up coffee and a dang good hoagie. Nobody will ever tell me he is a bad guy in person. Now on the net........................................ Yea, right.:razz:

Last edited:
Middle picture was at a NYS Thruway service plaza just after dark when I lost the trailer lights (of course.) Did some rewiring and ended up with running lights on 24 volts bypassing that circuit in my homebrew 24 to 12 volt and military to civilian light cord converter box. That's a mechanical detachable Talbert with a 29' well and outriggers partially deployed to make it 10' wide and life simpler for oversize load permit on the thruway. Going through the regular booths with 12' between them at 10' wide is okay, over that you have to use the far right oversize lane and EZ pass. That's my buddy Grant Robert's M932 tractor doing the pulling, makes it look on the small side. I should have taken a picture with some civilian tractors for comparison in the picture. Was thinking more about getting it home though than picture taking. Thats what happened loading it too, was all about getting it onboard, tied down and the show on the road... Hindsight.... Oh, I have a picture of one fork I have to upload!