• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead relay mod not needed after July 1985 production

CycleJay

Patriot,

I am with you, I read the TM too. And the Doghead mod is not part of it.
So I prefer to keep my M1009 stock.

But I did the mod anyway, so it would stop frying starters..
It had worked so far..

But when I did it, I did make it reversable.. Just in case I ever needed to undo it.
Still works just as well as doing it his way..

I will tell ya though, after I got my M1009, it started and ran just fine with the
stock starter relay for over 6 months, before it stuck and fried the starter.
Now to be on the safe side, I carry extra starter relays in my M1009,
so if/when I have this issue again, I have an extra starter relay to get me home,
as long as nothing else fries besides the starter relay.

Anyway, good luck with whatever route you take..

Good day,

CJ

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I was so busy banning people, I missed it!:p

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ask, and ye shall receive.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH, do you know what happens when you plug the toilet or the garbage man stops coming? Crap just starts building up and stinking. I'd not leave him banned too long as he is the Chief Flusher in the CUCV forum.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the Internet! Do NOT believe everything you see or read.:deadhorse:

344lbsofgetdown

my m1009 is a 86 and the relay stuck on me and fried the link on the driver side alt and damaged the starter i took mine apart after i did the dog head mod and its a cheep piece of tin just change it be done with and have a safe peice of mind or dont and let it stick and fry wiring and a starter that cost 100 bucks should have done mine the day i bought it but hay u live and learn

CycleJay

Ditto,

I did the Doghead mod too, and have not had a problem with my starter sticking on since.
And I do have peace of mind now, that I do not have to worry about that happening again.

Good job Doghead for coming up with it.. But how did you figure it out in the first place?
(I do not remember if you ever mentioned it... )

Good night,

CJ

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an 86 M1028 and my stock relay was the smaller, older one, I believe. Luckily, mine failed in the open position when it did. I replaced it with the Doghead relay and have never looked back. If only there were Doghead alternators and Doghead kingpin bushings. :mrgreen:

1stSarge

LOL, How did I miss that for 6 months...:oops:

Warthog, Thats an Infraction if I've ever seen one!:razz:
I noticed this the day I posted to it. I wondered why DH never fixed it. I assumed that it must be some inside joke that I was not privy to, and that in time would reveal itself.

I have never questioned the validity of the DH relay mod, but now that I know that it is actually in print in a military manual, I must question it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks