• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead relay mod on my M1028

WARWAG

Well I know its been covered before but here it is again. I wont go into details. Just pics.

Attachments

motorman

good work looks great!

did you use heat shrink tubing on the connectors?

is the black stuff liquid electrical tape or what?

this is next for me this weekend.

best regards
m

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My compliments on the workmanship!!!

Nothing like quailty connections, shrink tubing and liquid electrial tape.

Good job......:beer:

WARWAG

good work looks great!

did you use heat shrink tubing on the connectors?

is the black stuff liquid electrical tape or what?

this is next for me this weekend.

best regards
m

Thanks for the compliments. Yes I used heat shrink tubing on the connectors and then followed up with liquid tape. (Dont forget to slide the heat shrink on before the connector goes on) I would have used the red liquid tape on the hot ones but it was to cold since I left it out over night. Black works just fine. I used stainless steel fasteners and lock washers with a dab of liquid tape on them as well so there will be no chance of anything coming loose.

Last edited:

taildragger03

sixb,

The issue with the original starter relay, simply put, is the culprit to run-away starters. Several of us have found out the hard way by having to replace starters! This is one of the first modifications that should be done with CUCV's along with clean grounds, replacing rubber, rebuilding alternators, the list goes on. Many Thanks to doghead for this modification!

WARWAG

What are the symptoms of a bad starter relay?

From what I have read you usually burn up all your glow plugs and the starter before your able to get the batteries dissconected. Unless you have a 1/2" wrench handy. But will your wife or girl friend know what to do? I swear the truck starts even easier now. Seems like the starter has more juice. It could just be my imagination? But I do like knowing I have a 200 amp starter relay compared to the stock 40. Its way over kill but with all the problems people are having with the stock relay it only makes sense for the $15 buck you spend and the 15 minutes it takes to do the work.

WARWAG

sixb,

The issue with the original starter relay, simply put, is the culprit to run-away starters. Several of us have found out the hard way by having to replace starters! This is one of the first modifications that should be done with CUCV's along with clean grounds, replacing rubber, rebuilding alternators, the list goes on. Many Thanks to doghead for this modification!

Yes I agree!

Thank you DOGHEAD for the mod! :beer:

sixb

Thanks for the info. The reason for asking is I've been having some problems with mine and thought this might be the problem but it's not.
Another ? Do the civilian 12volt 6.2s use the same starter relay? Thanks.
I think I'll post up a thread regarding my cucv truggy issues.

The G Man

I have got to get around to doing this. Just finished glowplug mod a few weeks ago. This is down on my DA2404. (yeah still use them, itworks for me, I guess something like old dog and new tricks). I did intstall a battery quick disconnect. I figured with this and other electrical issues: It was well owrh my time and money. Doghead and WarWag thanks for making this as simple as possible with pics and all. Have a good one[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks