• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead Relay - Only 6V to PPL/WHT Wire

markx250

1009 almost stranded me yesterday. Went for a spin, stopped and when I turned the key to start ... nothing to the starter. Toolbox was in the 1028 (to-do ... get another toolbox). All I had was a multi-tool and some extra heavy wiring under the dash for the powered rear window, so I jumped across the relay and she started up fine and got me home.

Took out the relay and tested it across the battery and it worked. Just to be sure, I put a new relay in and same problem. 24V to the red wire, but less than 6V to the purple/white wire with key in start position. The relay just buzzes.

I even upgraded the new 1028 and used the old relay ... no problems.

Any ideas on the voltage drop ... from the diagrams, may have to trace it back to the ignition switch?

Also, I may having some issue with the glow plug relay which has also been making some new noises since this occurred.

Update: If I hook up the 1028 to give the 1009 front battery a boost, it turns over and starts. Batteries seemed OK with a multimeter but maybe they need load tested. Either that or I got some other new gremlin.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might have a shorted starter or bad battery.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never start electrical troubleshooting without fully charged AND load tested batteries. Test them, do not guess. If you don't know the true condition you are just pissing in the wind.

I also agree that it is more than likely a bad battery.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks