• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

doghead starter relay modifcation

Status
Not open for further replies.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lindy, please start a new thread to cover your starting issues.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure what he is asking.

The GP relay and the underdash starter relay are both 12volt relays(12v coils).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is using 12 volts to activate the relay coil. It is switching a 24 volt load.

A relay is rated by its control(coil) voltage(12v), and its amp load capacity(two separate things).

The GP relay MUST have a control coil that is NOT grounded at the mount(chassis).

The Under dash starter relay is originally wired the same, but does not have to be. You could use a chassis grounded relay in that situation and not use the black wire(ground).

If your asking if you can use a GP relay for the Under dash Starter Relay, you can.

This thread was originally posted to show one design flaw and a solution to that problem. So far, It have been 100% successful(as far as I know).

If you choose to deviate from the parts and instructions Posted here , That's your choice.

If you need to ask questions like this, you probably should not deviate from the thread instructions.

If you have a better choice or know an alternative part, then Post up a thread and try to manage it as best you can.

Last edited:

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your asking if you can use a GP relay for the Under dash Starter Relay, you can.

This thread was originally posted to show one design flaw and a solution to that problem. So far, It have been 100% successful(as far as I know).

If you choose to deviate from the parts and instructions Posted here , That's your choice.

If you need to ask questions like this, you probably should not deviate from the thread instructions.

If you have a better choice or know an alternative part, then Post up a thread and try to manage it as best you can.
HERE, HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I second that motion)

Ert

The reason I was asking about the glow plug relay is because that is what was put on by the previous owner. I figured somebody might know what it is rated for and be able to answer my question quicker than having to find the specs for it.

Have you considered the fact that this relay you have chosen is for intermittent duty? Usually doesn't that mean 10-15 seconds of use and at least a half hour to cool? It is not uncommon for a 6.2 to need to crank more than 10-15 seconds, or crank multiple times. Wouldn't it be a better decision to use a continuous duty relay, and wouldn't it be an even better choice if you found one that is made in the United States?

motormayhem

The reason I was asking about the glow plug relay is because that is what was put on by the previous owner. I figured somebody might know what it is rated for and be able to answer my question quicker than having to find the specs for it.

Have you considered the fact that this relay you have chosen is for intermittent duty? Usually doesn't that mean 10-15 seconds of use and at least a half hour to cool? It is not uncommon for a 6.2 to need to crank more than 10-15 seconds, or crank multiple times. Wouldn't it be a better decision to use a continuous duty relay, and wouldn't it be an even better choice if you found one that is made in the United States?
I have never had to crank my motor more than 5 seconds, even when it is 30* outside.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going of my memory, it was rated like, 20 seconds on and 20 seconds off.(this could be completely wrong and I'm not going to go look it up.)

Just about what you SHOULD be doing with your starter. If you crank your starter for any reason, for more than 20 seconds at a time with no waiting to do it again, your gonna have bigger troubles than worrying about burning out this relay.

The stock AC40 relay was definitely not going to last if you did that!

Why don't you start a new thread with a poll. I'd be interested to know how many people have done the relay mod suggested, and I would like to know if anyone has had a relay failure since the modification.

DO NOT post on that, here! This thread has gone downhill since around post #28...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks