• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doing it all

M215

Hello SS,
Pictures of work currently happening on the M35. We use this as a work truck so down time is hard to fit in.
Replacing the leaking head gaskets, heads resurfaced, replacing broken valve springs, drill & tap exhaust manifold for pyrometer, change all hoses and belts, replace very worn out steering box with NOS replacement (that was a fun job), replace leaking seals on front axle, install new front fenders and repair minor cab rust.
Also getting ready to repaint this truck.
Lots of fun all at once.
Karl

Attachments

M215

Steering box

The steering box started this job, at some point in this trucks life the lube leaked out of the steering box. When I picked it up and drove it home the steering was rough, oil ran out past the seal just as fast as you could put it in. I filled the steering box with grease until I could change the box out. The steering was getting real sloppy, about a 1/3 of a turn in steering play. Since the LH fender needed replaced I figured it would be easier to change the box once the fender was off, and one thing lead to another. Now I'm thinking of changing the bed to a drop side.

Maddawg, sorry no toys going to Aberdeen. I'll be in Arizona until Friday 11th, flying into BWI and will head over the the show directly.

Karl

spicergear

RE: Steering box

My Dad used to build the GMC's into brush trucks on Long Island. The ONLY engine work they'd do was to pull the heads and send them out to be done. No other engine work was done. Tranny got the REB Kit and the rest of the truck got armored, tanked and caged. Front suspension links on the GMC's are still superior to the M35's with that heavy link going to the axle that would take a stump to the front wheel and not 'unwrap' the front spring like the later trucks had done a couple of times.