• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Done at last.

1958 M274

Looks great! Tell us about what appear to be snaps/quarter turn fasteners over the doors like a M35 cab top. I haven't seen those on a M37 before.

GUNNY 155

Two answers for questions. Yes the color is 24052 USMC Semi Gloss Forest Green from GCI thinned with PPG medium fast enamel reducer and applied with a HVLP gun. For primer I used Trans Star Euro Urethane High build black primer which also contains a sealer so it cuts one more product needed and step. I used black because it will not show as much when you get a scratch or chip like the gray or red oxide will. The other thing is that being a high build primer it will fill minor blemishes and when you block the primer down prior to application of your color the blemishes disappear. The lettering was done with DuPont Centari Old Cat Yellow with a 4 parts color and 1 part PPG Flattener and 1 part medium reducer added to get a Semi Gloss finish. Paint masks were used for lettering and the material was applied with an air brush to better control thickness and drying time of the material The snaps on the cab top were an option offered through Beachwood Canvas. You could go with the standard rivet on metal pieces that fit in the roof channels or the snaps. I went with the snaps for two reasons. First I thought the top would fold or roll up better with out the metal channel pieces when removed. Second and most important. Even though I had to install the snaps myself I had seen a picture of the snaps on a M37 and thought it looked cool. So being the commander of this Battalion I ordered it done that way. Cheers to all and thanks for all the great compliments.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You obviously did a lot of first rate work on her and it sure shows in the final product. Be proud of yourself and enjoy the fruits of your efforts!:goodjob:

Last edited:

bigugh20

Wow, I bet you have a couple of hours on this build. Beautiful truck sir, first rate! The color is perfect, I'd have a hard time not driving that instead of my civy truck.

GUNNY 155

Done at last Part 2

Had a request for some cab interior shots so here they are. The first is during the build prior to the heater installation which was a NOS unit from a M151. It bolted in using the existing points on the heater. The first was into the side kick plate using a nutsert and rubber spacer. The second was through the glove box floor using a bolt, nut and rubber spacer. The rear mount went into a home built mount attached to the back of the firewall. The web gear is mine from back in the day. Thought you would like the picture of the first aid kit with period items. E bay can be a wonderful place! BTW the heater is a little jewel and really cranks out some BTU's

cab 1.jpgIMG_6238.jpgIMG_6230.jpgIMG_6222.jpgIMG_6226.jpg

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is really kewl!! Amazing attention to detail. Really a pleasure to view your pics!! Again, great accomplishment!!

God bless,
Tony

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great Job, Gunny! Wonderful to see the completed truck. I hope you have as much fun driving it as you did restoring it.

These trucks are never really "done", though. There is always some little part, job, improvement you just need to to do. That's one of the things I enjoy most.

Your pictures showed a sunny day with only a little snow off the pavement, so I hope you get to start driving it now and not have to wait for summer.

Gorgeous truck, and always, please post more pics!

Storm 51

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't use the word spectacular lightly.

You did it the right way. Only those who have gone that far know how challenging it is to finish.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks