• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Donor vehicles

par0thead151

Say someone has the funds, the space to store it, and the tools.
would buying a donor parts Hmmwv be ideal for getting a surplus truck in tip top shape?
Im able to get a complete Hmmwv, slant back style complete turret for $9,000. the slant back kit and turret alone would run me around $6,500. i figure i will need a few parts to swap out on the running 1993 M998 i have coming my way. the donor vehicle i can pick from a lot of 25 local trucks.

any parts not used can be parted out or sell the entire vehicle as is to someone else needing multiple parts.

thoughts?

Dock Rocker

This is just my opinion so take it for what it is. I feel like the HMMWV parts market is very overheated due to all of the new owners seeking parts. I feel like as time passes the price of parts will decrease. The new guys will eventually get all the parts they need and we will be back to a normal of sorts.

Your plan does make sense given the current market conditions. As long as things stay the way they are you will most likely come out great. If you wait to long you may end up with a "spare" parts truck you can't get rid of.

par0thead151

roger that. thats what i was figuring.
i guess it all depends on what is in the donor vehicles. if i can get doors, slant back kit, and a rear half shaft, it will make sense to pick up the truck and if i have to sell it off slowly over time, so be it, im still ahead a bit even with just the 3 items i need.
add in the other small things i find worn or half damaged on the truck i keep. and it will probably be an asset neutral buy.

Dock Rocker

I would look for a donor with a good glow plug controller I believe you want the one with the yellow markings. You will eventually need one. Also see if you can find a donor with a 200 amp dual stage generator. Those are good to have and easy to sell if you dont need.

par0thead151

excellent. i will keep my eyes pealed for those.
anything else to keep a eye out for?
from what i have read, inspecting the gun turrets is fairly easy to tell if it has bearings that are compromised as it will not traverse. anything else to keep a eye on with a slant back and the turret?
thanks

alltheway82nd

while doing a parts search in an online venue ending in list I found a local ad(this is in wilmington NC)Stating that they had all types of Hummv parts for sale They stated that they were selling as and authorized de-milling for the government so the idea has merit.

gerrykan

If you have the funds and storage, then definitely.
I usually have at least one parts vehicle for anything I'm driving.

You might be amazed at how many times you will remove parts from them, that you would have to purchase, and wait for their arrival otherwise.

I will qualify my statements by the facts that:
1. The newest vehicle I drive is a 1986 model year.
2. I am also a hoarder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks