• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Don't know if this helps anyone, but check you're electrical grounds!

math1960

I've gone through many starters over the years and always had problems with starting. I recently had a master mechanic, who used to work on these old CUCV's, do a thorough electrical check. He said I " wasn't getting much fire". So he put an industrial sized ground from under the dash to the chassis.
Man, that fixed everything. So far, this old m1009 has cranked like a CHAMP. Real strong starting. I even think my MPG is better if that's possible.
I always thought a engine setting on a chassis was good grounding, but I guess not. :-D

oboyjohn

Having just the engine sitting on a frame doesn't mean it has good grounding. Don't forget the engine and tranny are sitting on rubber isolators ( mounts ), thus they have to have a ground running to the chassis. I have seen some very weird instances when grounds go bad. Once I had a truck with air shift/ electric solenoids for the transfer case, transmission, diff locks and inter axle lock loose the "master ground for all the soleniods. With the engine running, I would shift to first gear in Blackout mode and all was fine. But when I would turn on the driving lights and shift to first, the transfer case would shift to neutral! Surprising how electricity will almost always find a path to ground and in the process made unexpected circuits activate.

135gmc

And if you ever need new cables on something that's 6-volt, remember to always get "6-volt" cables -- they're much heavier than 12 volt cables. Check NAPA instead of one of the chain-store parts suppliers