• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Don't know were to start

carc383

Hi everyone really don't know where to start but here it goes. I recently bought a m1078 and a 2 door 998. I farm for a living and would like to outfit both with radios that i could actually use rig up both trucks to be able to communicate with all equipment at farm I like the military look is there anyway i could outfit the trucks with cool looking newer type military stuff that would work with other two ways that i could put in farm equipment . range needed is 3-4 miles at main farm or rather roughly 3500 acres in middle of nowhere, is this possible ? I want to put the good looking antennas on back of humvee where do I start

Wire Fox

What are the other radios you use around the farm? As well, do you have any licenses from the FCC that grant you ability to use more than CB and FRS? Give us some of these details so that we might be able to point you toward something that might work for you.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you use before cell phones? Did you use radios with repeaters?

I'm curious about the answer as well. I have a VIC-3 with two FFCS so that two passengers can talk to each other while driving down the road. It's great. I love the ANR Bose headsets and the ability to carry on a conversation. But, other than the box Augi built, I have no other way of communicating with the outside world.

carc383

I see that you have a liking for trailers also I love them too I think you can never have enough of them. About the radios I use cell phones and those little motorola two ways the tractors have cb's in them i like the idea of putting something in my two military trucks with the whip antennas that would look cool but would be able to work with other stuff i don't have any licenses with f c c i don't know anything about that part of it .. but the idea of putting some nice bose headsets or something comparable to that that i could listen to music talk to passenger and use phone or some type of radio weather it be a cb or something better to communicate with my other tractors is kinda what I'm looking for

just me

OK, with no license, you won't be able to use any military radio. You need to be licensed to use them on amateur frequencies, can't use them on military frequencies and are not type approved on 11 meter (CB) frequencies.
Just buy CB's and use appropriate antennae.

kapkanimd

I apologize for the non-helpful answers some have posted...

Getting licensed is not difficult. You can get the basics by using a search engine for ARRL.

The most cost effective would be the RT-524. I went went what is referred to as the AN/VRC-47 with a VIC-1 intercom system. There are a lot of parts to assemble unless you can find someone selling a complete set. You can search AN/VRC-47 and get most of the information you need, but feel free to PM or email for more details.

Last edited:

just me

He wants to rig up a FLEET of farm vehicles. CB is the only cost effective choice. He can make cool looking antennas for the MV's. If he got a Tech license, he would still be better off 2 meter and simplex. Good 2 meter radios can be had for very little money. A house, office, couple of trucks and tractors would cost about what 2 military radio rigs would cost with all the stuff needed to mount and operate.

Wire Fox

I see that you have a liking for trailers also I love them too I think you can never have enough of them. About the radios I use cell phones and those little motorola two ways the tractors have cb's in them i like the idea of putting something in my two military trucks with the whip antennas that would look cool but would be able to work with other stuff i don't have any licenses with f c c i don't know anything about that part of it .. but the idea of putting some nice bose headsets or something comparable to that that i could listen to music talk to passenger and use phone or some type of radio weather it be a cb or something better to communicate with my other tractors is kinda what I'm looking for
CB radios! I can work with that. Everything for CB is all right around 27 MHz (26.965 MHz - 27.405 MHz, in approximately 0.01 MHz steps; a few channels have a 0.02 MHz step to allow for other uses). You can get a military HF radio that supports AM operation (most will be USB or LSB...which is legal, but uncommon for CB), but I think that would be absurdly expensive [$1,000+] to only get to use 40 channels. For that reason, I'd stick a commercial CB in there. HOWEVER, you should still be able to use an HF military antenna that was designed for 2-29.999 MHz operation. There's a lot of options out there for this, but I can't find any for sale right now from all my usual sources. If you need an antenna to look at to have an idea of what you're looking for, check out the Shakespeare Model 120 series (AT-1011/U is a specific model). You can get different mounting bases for it and you can setup the antenna segments a few different ways, depending on if you're stationary or mobile. It likely won't work as nicely as a purpose-built CB antenna, but it will be very functional and have the military look.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks