• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Don't Let Your Brother-In-Law Drive Your Deuce

garp

One thing I havnt seen mentioned is a word of CAUTION. Water or fluids being expelled from an open injector hole is under deadly force. We had a local contractors mechanic killed a few years ago from this very same thing. An old D8 was having head gasket issues, the machine had to be moved before repairs could be made. The mechanic lifter the hood off and pulled the inj. nozzle out. The operator didnt wait for him move out of the way before hitting the starter. The stream hit him in the right eye, blew the eye out and continued on into his brain. So PLEASE, pull the injector out, turn the engine by hand only until it clears the cylinder out.

z28young

Well, we have not heard anything in the past few hours, hope he wasn't looking into the injector hole when the engine was being turned over. :shock: Man that would really suck.

DeuceIsLoose

Hi MWMULES, well kind of...

I pulled out the injectors and everything was fine--no water in the cylinders. So I decided the issue was bad starters--I figured since I didn't put the fording plug in the bell housing that water got in them from all of the mud bogging--which we had been doing a lot of. So I pulled off the starters and they were full of rust and had them rebuilt--for like $250 each--he didn't tell me the price until I went to pick them up.

By that time, the trucks had been sitting for about 6 months and the batteries were toast (they're all pretty old anyways).

I've tried charging the batteries, but did no good. I've been out of the country for about 14 months, but now I'm back. So soon I'm going back to the farm on the in-laws land to mess with them again. I've either got to get some new batteries or I hooked up the starters wrong--or both.

We'll see what happens--they just need some attention. My uncle got one of them started by pulling it about 5 months ago so I've got hope.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I let my brother and law borrow my 5 ton last week. I feel your pain, except mine had mud over the 11.00s and to the frame. :( it was amazing at how he did it. but thanks to our 2 grapple skidders and the JD120 excavator being on site we were able to lift it up high enough to get some logs under the tires to get it out. I will add some pics when I get them loaded.

DeuceIsLoose

I was sort of deployed--I'm no longer in the AF, but with big oil and I've been up in Canada. I like the weather there a lot better than Iraq...

br44

Its not worth potentially bending a rod, it can happen easier than you would think.

if it hyrdro locked while running, he already has a bent rod. if it didnt bend, you should send them to nasa so they can copy the metal and use it for sun probes.

eg
he has a bent rod.

DeuceIsLoose

Hi All,

I got to play with the trucks last weekend finally. Put new batteries in the older one and and she fired right up. Then I moved them over to the winch truck and she still just thuds... like the solenoid is slamming but nothing happens. Engine doesn't turn over all.

So I pull started it and she ran fine. I still can't figure it out. I checked the wiring and it's identical to the other one. My uncle-in-law suggested I check the ground wire and make sure it has good contact and it did. So I'm a little lost for explanation. I would think it would be a relay or something like that, but if that was a case I wouldn't get the solenoid thud.

I'm all ears...

Heath_h49008

The starter motor can be bad or bound with a good solenoid on top of it "thudding" away.

Pull the starter and look for damage. Brushes, bearings, rocks, windings, etc...

Glad to hear they are ok!

Heath_h49008

A bad ground could reduce current and cause the solenoid to have enough juice to hit, but not enough to turn over... check it first. It's the easy one to check anyway.... just run a new ground from the battery to the block with a jumper cable, or ohm out the one you have and clean it up.

But...

Just because it was rebuilt, it doesn't mean it didn't fail. If the engine is free, and the batteries have enough power, either the cables aren't able to get the current there, or the starter can't do it's job due to internal electrical or mechanical fault.

There isn't anything else that can cause it.

Loco_Hosa

Im so glad to hear that it was not Hydrolocked! I bet that when it started you had a HUGE moment of relief.

Im with Heath on this one. If you have the time, I would almost suggest swapping the starters, to see the results.

Rebuilds can fail prematurely for any number of reasons. I have had brand new starters for my Chevy fail out of the box. This is why I have all my starters and alternators testing at the store before taking them home.

GTO Tiger

I just had this problem on my backhoe this past weekend. Solenoid clunk but engine did not budge. Connections on battery LOOKED good but when I pulled them off I could see a fine white film. Cleaned up the battery terminals and the inside of the cable clamps and it cranked and started right up. It doesn't take a lot of current to pull the solenoid in but spinning the engine is a different story... That's why the solenoid (which is a relay) exists. The solenoid is a big switch. A low current circuit turned on by your key or a button takes low current to the solenoid coil making it an electromagnet. That magnetism "pulls" the high current circuit switch contacts closed allowing high current to flow directly from the battery through those heavy contacts and on to the starter.

This is another place there could be a problem. The secondary solenoid contacts could be shot or mechanically not making connection. I have had that happen on a GM starter solenoid in one of my GTO's. You mentioned the starter had been rebuilt but what about the solenoid?