• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Don't want to beat a dead horse but....

eagle4g63

Please don't hate me for asking, I don't want to be a broken record or the dumb a$$ new guy, but.......

I have been reading A LOTTTTTTT of posts on here about the FDC and bypassing it. I looked and my truck is still hooked up, Don't think I am making oil(I have a oil leak that I am going to fix so makes it hard to tell) so that is not the reason for bypassing. I am starting to run a lot of used motor oil in my truck. So far I have been mixing all kinds of goodies.....Hydraulic oil, kerosene, old gas(just 5gal. once but might put a little in the oil vat if I find it for free), motor oil, trans fluid and of course diesel. I have noticed that when I get more oil in it(higher%) it seems to get more sluggish(takes longer to wind out a gear). I am not trying to break land speeds just trying NOT to take 3.5 blocks to get up to 30 just to use the last 1/2 block to let off for the stop sign!!! with the lighter stuff(kero, and diesel) it seems just fine like a big truck should.

Now bypassing the FDC is suppose to STOP the truck trying to regulate the amount of fuel dumped in when I put the pedal down....IF I am reading everything right. I also read that most everyone puts a pyro in.....IS it an ABSOLUTE MUST if I am going for running mostly WMO? Also most say to turn DOWN the fuel screw so as not to burn it up when holding the pedal for a long time, I am not running it on the highway or up big huge hills just want to be able to run it on WMO like when on diesel. I know I will have to keep out of the racing mode.

I just want to make sure I am understanding everything right BEFORE I go and do this especially sense I don't want to go and mess it up before it's big day in the 4th of July parade, just don't want to keep putting $100 or so each week in the tank just to drive it(I do use it EVERY day as my primary vehicle) especially when I have access to all the oil I can burn in it!!!

Oh yea, before I get asked I DID change ALL my filters so not a filter problem...actually seems worse now that I have new filters:cookoo: of course I did put the correct 6 micron final in it.

Billy Bobbed

If your FDC is intact I would leave it alone unless it is leaking in the oil.If the metal cover is over the fuel screw dont turn it down its good what ever you burn with your foot to the floor.Unless someone put the metal cover back on after turning the fuel up.If the wire is in the bolt heads it might not have been messed with.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You can bypass without a pyro, just be careful. If your exhaust smokes a lot, that means you have more fuel in the combustion chamber than you can burn, which is an indicator you can run too high an EGT.

rlwm211

EGTs are usually high when you are working the truck...throttle full, and not at max RPM. You are injecting as much fuel as you would use at 2600 at 1800 and the fuel unburned in the compbustion chambers is burned on its way out which is bad for the turbo and pistons and other expensive parts

Do a search for EGTs and pyrometers and you will find a wealth of information.

I would make sure your filters are good as if they are partially plugged this may explain the sluggish throttle response with WMO.

RL

eagle4g63

Thanks for the answers guys, I guess I was understanding it right.

Yes my filters are BRAND NEW just put them in this weekend ALL of them! That's why I was thinking of bypassing the FDC so I can get a normal pedal when running wmo.

Again just wanted to make sure I was understanding everything right before I did it.

Also I do have a lot of experience with turbos, if you saw any of my pics in my profile you would see one of my cars that has a turbo in it bigger than on these trucks, and it is only a 2.0l 4 cylinder car(around 450hp right now) so I do understand the "heat is very bad" thing.

hole

I got my truck already bypassed, so I have no point of reference as far as the FDC is concerned, but other than hard starts when it's cold I see no power difference running an 80% blend of oil to 20% fuel.

eagle4g63

OK, so today I took the plunge and bypassed the FDC. WOW!!! not only was that the easiest thing I have done on any vehicle in a long time but what a HUGE difference it made in the way it drives now.

I put in another 10 gallons of straight oil to the 1/3-1/2 full tank of mix just to make sure it was nice and thick compared to what was in it yesterday. Let's just recap: yesterday took nearly 4 blocks to get it to 30 miles an hour!!!!! NOT KIDDING and today it only took just over a block!!!! Both these runs were after it was wormed up of course.

I was even lucky enough that my main fuel line was a newer replace and was long enough to easily reach the pump without having to change it(no kinks either).

Now to just get a pyro so as to make sure no bad things will happen, so for now I will just take it easy and drive it like a normal truck not a hot rod.

Also no more having to go to the pump, I can just keep adding more oil and run it. I'm sooooo happy!!!!!!!:D

tm america

If you want to turn the fuel up .. i'm gonna be around the house working on my truck i could show you - help you out on monday... Also i have an injection pump here that has the fdc bypssed so you can look at the lines to see how its done when you here

tm america

sorry guess we were typing at the same time.I'm installing my pyro right now once i turn my fuel down to a safe level . we could run them side by side to help keep you at a safe level till you get your egt.

eagle4g63

That's funny $#!T, I don't care who you are!!! Yea, maybe we can get together Monday(have to see if the wife made any plans), that would be cool. Might have to ask your ear off with questions I'm trying to look up. Plus then I could ride in another deuce to compare how mine is actually running!

tm america

I'm gonna be around all day trying to get mine ready for haspin ..mine is turned up way to much right now so dont get you hopes up off of how mine runs now

jasonjc

Keep in mind that bypassing the FDC is like trunning the fuel way up. I'm not saying not too do it , just keep an eye on it.

eagle4g63

I know the bypass is like turning the fuel way up, but I also know that when everyone starts running a high % of wmo they have to turn the fuel way up to get it to run right(not run SSLLOOWW as HECK). Understand what I am saying? I hope I am keeping all this straight! I am going to put a pyro on it just haven't got there yet and still fixing other things that need the money that I am going to save by running the endless supply of oil I have access to.

Billy Bobbed

If you are running 100% WMO does not matter if the FDC is bypassed or not,the engine is a multifuel.The engine will burn what you give it.If you bypassed the FDC its putting more fuel in the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks