• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door glass filler?

Jersey 93 Ty

My 85 M1009 came with a busted out driver's window. Its been covered over with a couple of plastic trash bags since I picked it up. Last week, I received a nice big box from LMC truck that held my brand new replacement window, and I spent a while yesterday trying to get it installed. I did manage to clean out several pounds of broken glass from the bottom of the door and clear out the remains of Uncle Sam's window from the sash channel. Unfortunately that plastic bag mod is still in place, since I realized that I needed a new rubber "filler" piece that is shown in the -20 manual on page 10-24. I haven't been able to find this part in LMC Truck's, Brother's, or Classic's catalogs. I also couldn't find it on GM Parts Direct.

I did a little more research and found that page 135-1 of the -20P gives this a part number of 36593 with the instruction to cut it from the 100 ft. long roll of material that is part number 370389. Since I really don't need 100 ft. of this stuff, I really want to know where I could get this stupid little strip of rubber. Thanks for your help guys.

I think LMC has that window filler as well, possibly you'll have to buy the long piece for the back window and cut to length.

My driver's window had been replaced at some point, when it broke again I noticed that there was no filler. Instead it had been held in with clear silicone caulk. I cleared all that out, and when I put the new window in I just used some more caulk, I had the type used for aquariums, worked great. I need to do the same to the rear glass, since the filler seems inadequate to hold it tight.

Jersey 93 Ty

I thought of cutting down the filler from the rear piece, but then I noticed that the -20P listed a different bulk part number for the rear window filler compared to the bulk number for the door glass. If I can't find anything else, I may use your silicone caulk idea.

Jersey 93 Ty

If you happen to have one of these door glass filler pieces I'm still looking. I just got back from a quick visit to the local Chevy dealer. They can get it in about 3 or 4 days, but the cost is $62 and change! I'll search out a local auto glass repair shop and try them next. If only I hadn't left the window glass and channel sitting in the back of the M1009, which is currently parked an hour's drive south of me.

cam7002

Hey, everyone. What are we talking about here? The channel or the sweep or the stuff that goes in the door jamb to keep things quiet inside? The felt that fits between the glass and the sash?

I am lost here, but I do need some sweeps for my rear glass. I need both the inner and the outer, and I don't want to pay more than $20. I don't mind cutting it myself or riveting/clipping it myself. Are we talking about the same thing here? If not, any direction on where to get the sweeps cheap would be a great help. I don't mind generic one-size-fits-all, you gotta trim it style, either.

Jersey 93 Ty

Definately talking about different stuff here. I've been trying to find a solution to actually mount new window glass into the raise and lower mechanism. There is similar rubber used to mount M1009's rear window glass into its mechanism, but the "sweeps" that are fixed to the doors and tailgate are a completely different animal.

I'd be very impressed if you found a sub $20 substitute for what LMC truck calls "Tailgate Window Seal - Inner" and "Tailgate Window Seal - Outer". They are looking for $30 for each of those, and I doubt you'll cut that price down by two thirds by going somewhere else.

tvguy

For whatever reason, the driver's side window in my M1031 is "loose". When I pulled the door panel off it was missing the strip you're looking for . . . so I'm in exactly the same situation. I was going to use some kind of adhesive/caulk if I can't find a better option. Let us know what you come up with . . .

Jersey 93 Ty

I tried NAPA this afternoon and they couldn't help me. My next attempt will be to stop by a local auto glass place since my better half took the hour long drive down to the CUCV's parking space and brought back the glass and channel for me the other day. I probably won't get anything more done on this for a few days since my Florida titles arrived from GL this morning... tomorrow night will be spent at the Motor Vehicle office trying to get these beasts legal.

1956_4x4

I just picked up an 88 Chevy truck with the right front door glass broken, so I'll be in the same boat. I'll let you know if I locate it.

How long did it take to get the FL title after you submitted for it?

Smitty

GreenBull

The material in question is called sash tape and you should be able to acquire it at a glass/trim shop that has been in business since this was used commonly. To install the sash onto the glass you use masking tape to fix the sash tape to the edge of the glass and use a mallot and wood block to install the sash. Lay the glass flat on a table while installing. The alternative is urethane or some other adhesive. Cut spacers from the old sash tape/plastic/paper to center the glass in the sash so that the adhesive is distributed evenly between the glass and sash.

ida34

Another Michigander. Welcome. I just saw this thread. I got a portion of the sash tape from LMC when I got a window and channel a while ago. I can't remember the number but they did have it. I would do like others suggest and see if you can find a sympathetic glass installer in the area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks