• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door Hinge pins

rustystud

You can replace them with 5/16 X 3 inch bolts but will end up back in trouble with the hinges freezing up after a while.

The above mentioned kit I carry was something I devised after being fed up with my own doors as well as many request from others to come up with a bushed design which would work for both function and future disassembly without the need of a torch and hammer.

The technical article I wrote for these is here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=52

After writing the article many complained that finding the mentioned bushings was more difficult than I anticipated and / or very over priced from what I mentored in the article so I put together the kit for the sake of obtaining everything easily.

If you are interested in purchasing the kit I do strongly recommend you FIRST READ THE TECH ARTICLE... This modification requires some level of know how with hand and power tools. It takes some "fiddling" and fitting to get just right but In the end you will have doors which open and close effortlessly with bushings that will last forever.

http://odiron.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=4_56&products_id=37 Door pin kit....
Hello devilman96, the link to your tech article about door hinge pins doesn't work anymore. I have been searching for over a hour now and cannot find it. Could you please repost it . Thanks, rustystud.

Dipstick

Thanks, that will work out grest as I have the doors off for some rust repair.

Larry Sage
Ortonville, mi

1974 m342a2
1953 m37 cdn
1953 m43
Nice work! Did you use a mig to weld it? If so, was it the gasless setup?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had some ODI bushings in my tool box left over from my deuce days. Been a while since I've seen them though.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stainless hinge pins

I don't understand all the contortions you guys are going through?

Just go to stainless pins/bolts like I made for the tailgate hinges. That's
the end of problems and stronger, too.

I've not had to change out my door hinge pins yet but I would probably
cut down a stock bolt to fit or resize hinge if not too much meat
is necessary to be removed. Bushings should not be necessary. Use
a self locking stainless nut.

Good luck,
Orren:grd:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bushings sure make it nice. I did the door on the M108 many years back with bushings and stainless . It operates as smooth today as it ever has.

Couldn't you just drill it out to 7/16" and use a brass/bronze bushing? McMaster carr has 5/16" id 7/16" od brass bushing for $1 a piece or the white plastic bushings for $4 for a pack of 5 it's only .047" difference from 25/64"

gary1978

There's not enough steel on the outside hinge barrels to allow for drilling to 7/16". Might be possible to drill 5/16" and use a "sleeved" 1/4" bolt. (If you can find some metal tubing to make that kind of a sleeve from.) Otherwise, it looks like to make "bolts" to hold mirrors, you can turn down larger bolts on lathe and re-thread. Seems like someone would stock the replacement bolts. But all I have found are replacement hinges and pins.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks