• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door latch loose and won't release.

MaiNiaK

I've had my 95 M1078 for a few months now. Only had a couple issues when I got it. Heater panel was missing some bolts, which was easily fixed. Besides the passenger side door not opening, the truck runs great and passed a full commercial inspection with the inspecting mechanic saying the truck is tight and like new.

My passenger side door latching mechanism is loose and won't open. A friend of mine whom is a body repair man tried to get it to release using flat head screw drivers. After a few tries I had him stop as he had been drinking and I didn't want him to break anything. He says it won't open because the latch mechanism is so loose and if we can get it to release, tighten it back down and grease it up it should work fine.

So my question is, does anyone know how to get a loose latch mechanisms to release without destroying it, or sawsalling off the striker?

Thanks,
William.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
just a picture of the thing
left right interchangeable with a little work
door lock operating thing 100 each left right.jpg

Assure you grease the nubs on the window regulator thing while you in there as the mechanism will never rot except for the nubs where the little clips go. Daub grease all over them nubs.
window regulator position.jpg

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frank, A for effort, but the OP is working on a FMTV. This has the Steyr door with all flimsy European guts.

Ukraine Train

When I had my door apart to get keys made for the cylinder, the little plastic clips that hold the rods in place broke during disassembly. That might be what happened to yours. If the rods fall out then no amount of effort on the handle is going to open it. I ended up wrapping some metal wire around the rods and mating parts to keep them retained. So far so good.

MaiNiaK

Thanks for all the help everyone.

The wife will appreciate being able to use her own door and not crawling over the center hump. lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks