• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door Mechanisms

Dalton

The door handles and window knobs don’t work too well on my 1954 M37. I’ve removed the doors from the truck as part of the overall restoration and I plan to open up the doors to work on the mechanisms inside. I plan to track down the appropriate technical manual before I begin, but other than that does anyone have any general advice about working on doors?

I see that Vintage Power Wagons sells locking door handles (page 80 of their latest catalog). I’d like to install these or others like them. Has anyone used them? Unfortunately, they appear to be chrome.

Thanks

Mike_L

Are you saying they are a little rough and sloppy? My window, no matter how meticulous I adjust it, still is a little rough in a couple spots, mostly at the top and the very bottom. I've had them apart, lubed them, adjusted them, replaced the weather seals that the glass runs up with very little difference.

Now, if you are saying they are broken, don't roll up at all or the door doesn't latch/unlatch right then I'd say to check the mechanism to see that it is aligned OK and not missing parts. Then I'd replace it. Elsewise, it can be a bit pricey to replace parts to just get the "character" out of a latch.

Good breakdown and adjustment instructions can be found in the TM 9-8031-2, Power Train Body and Frame, dated 1953. Very good instructions on all the adjustments. It took me a couple of goes at it with the book before I fully understood why loosening/tapping this affected that, etc.

As for the chrome parts, nothing a quick media blast or rough steel wool won't fix before a good primer/paint job.

majorhitt

The best thing is to clean all the moving parts,apply light oil,and replace the guides. As Mike_L mentioned it may take you a few tries to get things lined up. No need to replace the mechanism if it's not broken.

Dalton

Thanks for the replies.

My wondows work, but are extreemely difficult to operate. I don't expect them to be easy, but there's definitley room for imporvement.

The handles that open the door only work intermitently. it takes 2 or 3 tries.

I notice that the mechanisms are towards the top of the door but the access panel is tpwards the bottom. Do I only work through the access panel or is it possible to open up the entire door?

I'll get TM 9-8031-2

Dodge man

My windows and doors work well and I haven't done anything to them. I think if you clean the old oil and grease out of yours and then relube them, all will be well. If it's not then check for rust or anything bent of damaged. I have seen people use locking door handles off of post office jeeps on the M-37 and deuces. They're not identical but close enough that most wouldn't notice the difference unless they knew what to look for.

majorhitt

The best thing to do is to remove the window. The access panel is where you get at every thing.To take that off,lower the window, look for the X type arm holding the window frame.The window should be sitting on a set of stops. There are small clips about the size of a quarter,remove these, they are on the side you can't see.Remove the two bolts on the bottom of the window. The two clips you removed hold pins in the channels, up and to the left are two more screws. There's a clip and pin there, remove that. Get a friend to help pull the window out. Looking at the access hatch side of the door,remove the window regulator by removing the four screws. two by the regulator handle and two in the mid panel. First remove the handle.The round thing that takes up space between the handle and the door, that's the escutcheon, pull that to find the pin that holds the handle to the regulator. Punch that out, keep track where it goes, more fun to put back.Take out the four screws mentioned earlier and remove the regulator. Same goes for the door opener handle. to remove door latch remove the screws and drop that out. Again as mentioned earlier Clean all areas that have contact with other moving parts and lightly oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks