• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door panels and windows

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I needed to replace my door lock on the driverside. As it always is, the last few screws ruined a quick job. The door pad screws were rusted so bad that I broke 3 drill bits trying to get them out. In the end, I pryed off the arm rest and I now need a new door panel.

There are quite a few choices out there but which ones are worth it? I see LMC Truck but the reviews are they are really thin. Coverlay makes some that I found on rock auto but they don't look quite the same.

I also need to figure out why my drivers window keeps coming off the track. I tried to pull the back track in but I might have to find another adjustment as it won't come in further.

cucvrus

I know a guy in Pennsylvania that has a few OEM used CUCV door panels. A few. Are you interested? Let me know. I even have Blue ones that are stock blue thru and thru.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the felt channels on the front and back of the door glass? The front channel has an adjustment as well.
I'll look into that. It moves just enough to pop out but I'll look. The felt is still in there but it's original.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a guy in Pennsylvania that has a few OEM used CUCV door panels. A few. Are you interested? Let me know. I even have Blue ones that are stock blue thru and thru.
Thanks! I have the door panels but they are all chaulky and I'm not sure I could save them. If I had to reuse them, I'd need a new arm rest and the felt piece is brittle.

Since I want them to match, I figured a trying something new but not sure who to go with.

cucvrus

Hey and the next time that happens where the arm rest screws are rusty and you can't drill them out. Gently pry out on the door panel and get a ratcheting wrench up under there and remove the 2 1/4" bolts that hold the metal arm rest bracket in place. It is that easy. Then you use a vise grips on the pointy side of the screws and get them out. No need to go all H.A.M. on that poor door panel. And another trick that is worth trying to rejuvenate the door panels is. After they are removed and cleaned. Hang them up on a string and soak them down with Armor All. Let then set a day or 2 and hit them again with Armor all. After the set and dry clean them up with a soft rag and you may be surprised. They won't look perfect but they will be acceptable and match the age of the truck.
Check it out. I wanted an original truck. I changed very little in interior parts. CUCV head gasket / head/ or change engine survey | Page 7 | SteelSoldiers

nyoffroad

Hey and the next time that happens where the arm rest screws are rusty and you can't drill them out. Gently pry out on the door panel and get a ratcheting wrench up under there and remove the 2 1/4" bolts that hold the metal arm rest bracket in place. It is that easy. Then you use a vise grips on the pointy side of the screws and get them out. No need to go all H.A.M. on that poor door panel.
DOH! After all these years and all those rusty screws NOW you tell me that? Just goes to show sometimes it pays to look 'outside' the box. Thanks for the tip!

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey and the next time that happens where the arm rest screws are rusty and you can't drill them out. Gently pry out on the door panel and get a ratcheting wrench up under there and remove the 2 1/4" bolts that hold the metal arm rest bracket in place. It is that easy. Then you use a vise grips on the pointy side of the screws and get them out. No need to go all H.A.M. on that poor door panel. And another trick that is worth trying to rejuvenate the door panels is. After they are removed and cleaned. Hang them up on a string and soak them down with Armor All. Let then set a day or 2 and hit them again with Armor all. After the set and dry clean them up with a soft rag and you may be surprised. They won't look perfect but they will be acceptable and match the age of the truck.
Check it out. I wanted an original truck. I changed very little in interior parts. CUCV head gasket / head/ or change engine survey | Page 7 | SteelSoldiers
Well....I can see what you're saying now that the panel is off but in the moment that never crossed my mind. I'll have to ask next time before I start with a pry bar.

When you say clean - What do you use? Soap and water or degreaser or ?

Barrman

Contractor trash bags from Walmart are pretty good at keeping the cold wind from coming in through the door handle in the winter has been my experience. Held on with duct tape of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks