• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door sill shape question?

todds112

Kind of an obscure question. Anyone know why the door sill is a circular shape? The door is square, but then it looks like they have added a plate?

Looks like it would make it harder to get in and not bust your shins all the time. Is it to strengthen the cab? A throwback to the WWII dueces that didn't have doors?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, I read somewhere that it is for reenforcement of the cab. 90 degree angles will fail, a radius won't.

blacktop_one

I've been tempted more than once to cut the forward radius out of the driver's side so I could stop catching my foot on it every time I exit the truck. Maybe I'll just trim it down some.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I have seen some cabs they were cut out of. Big gaps at the top of the door. Some didn't latch anymore.

Barrman

My 1952 cab which was surplused out of the military around 1958 according to the story I got from the last owner had no braces on the front of each doorway. It has smaller ones on the rear.

My 1953 which came out of the military at the same time has the full brace. My 1953 or newer replacement cab has the same rear brace and what looks like a put in later front brace.

The left picture below shows the 1952 cab with just the rear brace. The right picture shows the 1953 or newer replacement cab with the same rear brace and a welded in front addition. This all leads me to believe the trucks came with just the rear, the cracked, braces were added that worked and then we got the single piece brace we all know about today.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen 3 of the early gasser cabs where the front radius brace unbolts. Like Gimp said, they are for strengthening the cab and you will eventually have issues with doors if removed.

todds112

Interesting. I've always been intrigued by "design archeology". Kind of like the Jeep CJ5's carried the hood notch and recesses on the tubs from the M38's design for years. One reason I like MV's is that form usually follows function. Purpose built and they show it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks